University Orientation Events
Queen's Welcomes U (September 6th)
Join the rest of the Class of 2019 at your official welcome to Queen's. You'll hear from some of the most important people on campus, be inspired to make the most of university life by our keynote speaker, and participate in your very first Oil Thigh with Queen’s Bands. You'll understand the real meaning of tricolour by the end!
Sunday Night Activities (September 6th)
We've got a wide variety of activities happening After the Queen's Welcomes U event, you are invited to participate in a number of different activities starting at 9:00 PM, including:
- Trivia Night @ Leonard Dining Hall: Have you brushed up on your Queen’s facts and traditions? Come show off your knowledge at the Dining Hall starting at 9:00 PM.
- Indoor Movie @ Chernoff AUD: Watch the movie with your floor, or come to make some new friends! The movie begins at 10:00 PM and snacks will be served starting at 9:00 PM.
- Basketball & Volleyball @ ARC Upper Gym: A great opportunity to meet some new friends and play low key pick up sports starting at 9:00 PM.
- Pick-Up Field Games @ Tindall Field: Come play pick-up soccer, toss around a frisbee, or throw a football around starting at 9:00 PM.
- Quidditch @ Nixon Field: Do you love Harry Potter and have always wished you could play Quidditch? Now is your chance! The Quidditch Club will be running drills and games starting at 9:00 PM.
Hungry? We will have fresh popcorn and refreshments that you can pick up at Chernoff AUD on your way to Trivia or the Movie, starting at 9:00 PM!
Existere (September 7 or 8):
Ready for a unique Queen's experience? Then you're ready for Existere! Existere is a social action theatre group that aims to raise awareness around important issues relevant to first-year students. The show is written and performed by Queen's students, and is based on their own experiences. A favourite part of orientation for many students, Existere will be sure to have you laughing, learning, and nodding in agreement.
ResSoc Carnival & Dance (September 7)
This event is a highlight of University Orientation every year. Enjoy awesome inflatable games, pick up some great free swag from our sponsors, and dance the night away with your fellow first years. This event is brought to you by your Queen's Residence Society.
If you're looking for a more relaxed activity, come find the Board Game Zone in the PEC!
Canvas on Campus (September 8)
Why did you choose to come to Queen’s? What do you want to get out of your Queen’s education? During your UNI100 sessions, you’ll be asked to share your answers to those questions on a small, tricoloured canvas. Then, over the course of September 8th, every student will lay down their tile in the Agnes Etherington Art Centre to create a giant Queen’s flag. The flag will be left up until September 10th, so you’ll have a chance to see the final product.
Campus Talks on Tour (September 8)
Want to learn more about resources, services, and ways to get involved with student life? This tour is for you! Join your don on they take you around campus and give you some need-to-know info to start the year on the right foot!
Welcome Home Night (September 8)
Welcome Home Night is full of awesome activities for you to check out, so whether you're interested in playing poker or blackjack, want to share your love of music with everyone else, care to explore some of the club opportunities on campus, or are a little hungry, we've got something for you!
- Casino Games: Try your hand at Poker, Blackjack or Prize Wheels with your fellow first years! There are also TONS of opportunities to win Prizes!
- Open Mic: Share your love of music with our Open Mic night! Hosted by Limestone Music, and featuring student Emcees!
- Dessert Tour: Local dessert vendors from downtown Kingston will be showcasing their desserts for you in the ARC Main Gym!
- Clubs: Check out activities from a variety of clubs on campus!
Jack.org ball pit
|Film production workshop|
African & Caribbean dance class
|Model United Nations debate|
Bolly-fit dance class
MyVision keychain making
Federal election voting workshop
|Pop culture debate|
Upon entrance to this event, each student will receive raffle tickets that they can use to enter our Grand Prize Draw! Prizes include electronics, gift cards, swag baskets, and much more!
In order to help you get settled in, every student has free time built into their schedule throughout orientation. Use this time to head to the mall to pick up those things you forgot, visit the bank or pharmacy to update your information, head to the gym for some exercise or just hang out with your new friends- whatever you want!