Last Year's Events
Last year, University Orientation took place September 1st - 3rd. In that time, students had the chance to bond with their floor and fellow classmates at our 15 events. For University Orientation, your floor will be your orientation group. Please see below for a complete list of last year's events:
Queen's Welcomes U:
Join the rest of the Class of 2017 in a welcoming ceremony from Queen's University! This address is brought to you by Queen's, Athletics & Recreation, and the Alma Mater Society.
Sunday Night Activities:
After the Queen's Welcomes U event, you are invited to participate in a number of different activities, including:
- Floor Hockey & Volleyball @ ARC Upper Gym: Sign up team with your floor to compete, or show up and join a team! This is round-robin play, with playoffs occurring on Tuesday night at Welcome Home Night (bracket structure depends on how many groups sign-up).
- Club Activities @ Queen’s Centre 3rd Floor: Wander upstairs to the 3rd floor Queen’s Centre (above Common Ground) to check out a number of club activities, including Queen’s Board Games Club & Queen’s Roleplaying Game Club (Table-Top).
- Snack Station @ JDUC Corner of University & Union: Late-night refreshments! First-come-first-serve.
- Movie Screenings @ Dunning Hall & West Campus: This year’s movie selection will be posted here August 30th. As well, check out screenings from Queen’s Anime Club, Queen’s Half The Sky, and Queen’s International Justice Mission Clubs in Dunning 11, 12 and 14!
- Organized Field Games @ Tindall Field: Tindall Field will hold casual games of Ultimate Frisbee, as well as learning the game of Quidditch from Queen’s Quidditch Club. Water will be available. Queen’s First Aid will not be present at Tindall Field, but they will be ready to respond when called (613-533-6111).
- Pick-Up Field Games @ Nixon Field: Nixon Field will hold relaxed pickup games and recreational/social activities; pick up a frisbee, throw a football around, etc.
What is it? What does it mean? Find out at this unforgettable event!
Canvas on Campus:
This is a brand new event for Residence Orientation 2013. At UNI 101, you'll receive a small 4" x 6" board and asked to write on it your answer to: Why did you choose to come to Queen's? What do you want to get out of your Queen's education? At Agnes Etherington Art Centre, over the course of the following two days, all the boards will be assembled into a giant 18 feet x 42 feet Queen's flag! The flag will be left up until after the Sidewalk Sale, so you'll get a chance to see the final result! This event is sponsored by your Queen's Residence Society, and brought to you by the Queen's Student Experience Office.
Get your face painted with tricolour stripes, and get ready to cheer on our Queen’s Gaels football team as they take on the McMaster Marauders!
Queen's Football Game:
See if those rumors that Queen’s is unrivaled in school spirit are true! Paint your face in Queen’s tricolour and join the parade to Richardson Stadium to cheer on your school!
Res Soc Carnival & Dance:
This event is a highlight of Residence Orientation every year. This year, for the first time in many years the event will be held on main campus! Enjoy awesome carnival games, pick up some great free prizes from our sponsors, and dance the night away with your fellow first years.This event is brought to you by your Queen's Residence Society.
*Be sure to drop off your Gold Ticket to organizers at the event. This is a key way that your floor earns points towards a Floor Prize! It is also required for admission.
Photo Scavenger Hunt:
The more you explore campus, the more points you earn for your floor! Clues are found in your Residence Orientation Handout.
A speaker series with short talks from 10 important on-campus services for you to know about during your transition to university life, and for the rest of your time here at Queen's.
We are entering our second year of Queen's Reads! During University Orientation, you will participate in discussion groups facilitated by professors, dons and upper-year students surrounding themes in The Glass Castle and how they relate to the first-year transition to university.
Welcome Home Night:
This event, held in the ARC, is full of a variety of awesome activities for you to check out, many of them brought to you by local Kingston businesses:
- Casino Games: Try your hand at Poker, Blackjack or Prize Wheels with your fellow first years!
- Board Games by Minotaur: A night of friendly competition, run by local store Minotaur Games and Gifts.
- Prize Draws: Prizes drawn every half hour! We will make an announcement for people to come collect prizes.
- Recreational Games: The playoffs from pick-up games on Sunday Night activities will be held in the upper gym of the ARC.
- Open Mic: Share your love of music with our Open Mic night! Hosted by Queensevents.ca!
- Clubs: Check out activities from Queen’s Swing Club , Queen’s KinetiQ Hip Hop Appreciation Club , Queen’s Indian Students Association , Queen’s Expressions and Queen’s Conservatory of Music . As well, check out a Queen’s Model UN Beginner Crisis Simulation, hosted by Queen’s International Affairs Association on the 3rd Floor Queen’s Centre!
- Dessert Tour: Local dessert vendors from downtown Kingston will be showcasing their desserts!