Creative Writing & Media Contest
Congratulations to the winners of the 2014 Queen's Reads Creative Writing & Media Contest! Check out the winning submissions:
Grand Prize Winner:
Rose Ferrao, "Parallels" (PDF, 115 KB)
Creative Writing Honourable Mention Winners:
Marco Covassi, "To Know Or To Guess?" (PDF, 69 KB)
Spencer Raby, "Queen’s, Quarter Finals and Questioning Orange Crush: An Improbable Contemplation" (PDF, 127 KB)
Attention! Incoming first-year students, it's time to flex your creative muscles and compete for some awesome prizes in this year's Queen's Reads Creative Writing & Media Contest!
Grand Prize: $500 credit towards your tuition
2 Creative Writing Honourable Mention Prizes of $200 to the Campus Bookstore
2 Media Honourable Mention Prizes of $200 to the Campus Bookstore
In addition, the creators of the top five submissions will be invited for brunch with Queen's University Principal Daniel Woolf as well as be featured by the Undergraduate Review, Queen's oldest arts publication!
Here's what you have to do...
Vincent Lam prefaces Bloodletting & Miraculous Cures with the following epigraph:
"Medicine is a science of uncertainty and an art of probability"
~Sir William Osler, 1849-1919, renowned Canadian physician and educator
How might this quote be applicable to other subjects beyond medicine? How might it relate to your transition to Queen's? Submit a poem, short story, piece of visual art, video, musical composition or any other creative work inspired by something that is "a science of uncertainty and an art of probability" to you.
How to submit your entry:
- If submitting a non-written work, please include a short reflection presenting your submission and describing how it relates to the prompt.
- You do not have to use the quote directly in the work. The prompt is to be taken as a broad starting point from which themes and connections can be drawn.
- The word limit for creative writing submissions and reflections accompanying other media works is 500 words.
- Use Times New Roman size 12 font, double-spaced, with 1" margins.
- Include your full name, Queen's email, and title of your piece on the first page of your document.
- If you make references to Lam's text or another work, please cite them in a standard format (for example, MLA or APA style) and include a works cited page at the end of your submission (works cited page is not included in the 500 word limit).
- Save the submission as a Word or PDF file.
Submit your entry by email to email@example.com by Sunday, August 17 at 11:59 pm (deadline extended!).
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 613-533-6000 ext. 78338.