Start-UP Transition Support Service for Students With Disabilities
Start-UP is a great opportunity for first year students who are registered with QSAS to receive individualized support on any aspect of their transition to university. The university learning environment can be very different from a high school environment and figuring out how you work best in this environment can at times be a process. When you meet with Gail (our Start-UP co-ordinator), she will help you figure out how to use your strengths to work through the aspects of the transition you are finding the most challenging in this new environment. You may have found that strategies related to studying, time management, advocacy, focus and concentration and organization that worked well in high school don't seem to work as well in university. Maybe you have questions including:
- How do I focus in a large lecture hall?
- How do I get from one side of campus to the other in time for class?
- How can teaching assistants support me and should I go to the office hours that instructors post?
- How do I find time to socialize when the textbook readings are taking up most of my free time?
- How can I approach an instructor whose teaching style is very different from what I am used to?
- How do I talk to my instructors about my academic accommdations?
- How do I take notes when the instructor talks faster than I can type or write?
It’s your first day on the job as Queen’s Student, and you’re not quite sure what to expect. You are excited and ready to start, but also a bit anxious. Start-UP will give you an insider’s guide to University life up close with some on the job training to tip the odds in your favour for a productive first year at Queen’s.
Get a Start-UP on success … see you in September!
Queen’s Student Accessibility Services
Student Wellness Services