What is Body Image?
Your body image is usually on a continuum and can fluctuate depending on a lot of different things. It typically involves:
- How satisfied you are with your appearance
- How much importance you place on your physical appearance when determining your self-worth
- How accurately you estimate your own body size
POSITIVE BODY IMAGE
- Having a clear and true perception of your shape & parts of your body
- Feeling comfortable & confident in your body
- Feeling proud & accepting of your unique body
- Understanding that physical appearance says little about your character & value as a person
- Celebrating and appreciating your natural body shape
NEGATIVE BODY IMAGE
- Having a distorted perception of your shape & parts of your body
- Being convinced that your body size & shape are a sign of personal failure
- Feeling ashamed, self-conscious, and anxious about your body
CAUTION: People with negative body image are more likely to develop an eating disorder or distorted eating patterns, suffer from feelings of depression, isolation, and low self-esteem.
Everyone has days when we feel awkward or uncomfortable in our bodies but the KEY to developing positive body image is to recognize and respect our natural shape and learn to overpower negative thoughts and feelings, replacing them with positive, affirming, and accepting ones.
**Click here to download Steps to Positive Body Image