Indoor Air Quality
- Smoking has been banned from all campus buildings since the late 1990s
Low Emission Materials
- Indoor surfaces are painted, almost exclusively, with low emission latex paints.
- Low emission materials are used in building, furnishing, carpeting, etc.
- Campus building standards require operable windows in non-laboratory areas for improved air quality.
- Buildings such as Gordon Hall use displacement ventilation to improve indoor air quality and reduce the energy required for both cooling and ventilation.
Why does it matter? Displacement ventilation is a new system of air distribution in which incoming air originates at floor levels and rises to exhaust outlets at the ceiling. It has the advantages of improved comfort, reduced energy consumption and better indoor air quality.