Workplace Energy-Saving Tips
Use energy management controls on your computer
- Set your monitor to turn off after 5 minutes.
- Set your system standby to 5 minutes.
- Set your screen saver to "blank" to reduce your computer's power draw.
At the end of the day, power-down your office
- Turn-off lights, computers, monitors, printers, scanners, radios and other equipment.
Eliminate phantom power loads
- Use a power bar to shut off your electronic equipment in order to eliminate phantom load or standby power that is consumed even when the equipment is turned off.
- Unplug coffeemakers, microwaves and ovens when closing for the holidays.
Reduce lighting load
- Turn-off lights in unoccupied areas like meeting rooms, classrooms, washrooms, utility rooms and when you leave your office for more than 5 minutes.
- Replace incandescent task lights with compact fluorescent lamps.
- Open window coverings to make use of natural light to cut down on the need for electric lighting.
Reduce demands on heating and cooling
- Raise air conditioning temperature by 2 degrees, and lower heating temperature by 2 degrees.
- Dress comfortably for the weather and adjust your layers before adjusting the thermostat.
- Call Fixit for heating/cooling concerns; avoid using space heaters or use a small fan.
Purchase energy efficient equipment
- Replace CRT monitors with LCD screens.
- Use Energy Star appliances in lounges.
Ensure equipment operates at peak efficiency
- Check the temperature of the staff fridge; you don't need to freeze your food.
- Replace or clean filters according to manufacturer's recommendation.