Student Sustainability Internship
The Queen’s Sustainability Office is seeking an intern positionfor the summer of 2014.
In keeping with the university’s commitment to climate action, the student sustainability internship provides an opportunity for students to engage with Queen’s climate action plan activities. The intern will have the opportunity to work directly with their student sustainability peers on event planning, work with staff and faculty, assess and report on sustainability programing, research best practices and become acquainted with elements of environmental impact quantification. Through these opportunities, the intern will gain experience in a functioning office environment, developing organization and leadership skills, gain insights into sustainability issues in general and within a campus context and exercise analytical and reporting tools.
Reporting to the Sustainability Manager, the intern will be responsible for three primary project deliverables and will assist with other tasks required by the Sustainability office.
Duties and Responsibilities
- 3 project deliverables;
- AASHE STARS assessment
- GHG Inventory & report
- CAP student engagement
- Other tasks as assigned may include;
- Sustainability Office website development including new content and fresh looks
- Monitoring of Sustainability Office social media hubs
- Participate in communication material creation including online materials, posters, videos etc.
- Assist with inventory exercises
- Assist with further development of the Green Office Certification Program
Skills / Attributes Required
- A genuine interest in Sustainability
- Previous experience with a sustainability or environmental initiative
- A flexible attitude with proven experience of working independently
- Excellent communication skills and attention to detail
- The student should be personable and be comfortable meeting with people at all levels of the organization
- Strong data organization skills are necessary to collect and catalogue the information from multiple sources
- Strong computer skills, particularly in using multi-paged excel files
- General experience with web page design
Time Commitment, Remuneration
- The internship will run from May 1 to August 15
- 20 hours / week is the expected time commitment, however this may fluctuate up or down based on current activity and event needs
- The work hours will be flexible and negotiated at the beginning of the internship, with the general expectation that some hours will be in the office and some will be independent
- The internship will pay $12 / hour including vacation pay
- Applicants should forward resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Resumes must be submitted by March 14, 2014
This internship is made possible by the AMS Sustainability Action Fund.