The School of Graduate Studies is constituted to administer the policies of the Senate of Queen's University as they pertain to graduate studies. The School embraces all the departments, programs and interdisciplinary schools that offer graduate programs except for those graduate level programs administered by the School of Business.
Graduate departments and/or programs are grouped according to faculty-based Graduate Councils or Committees that govern the academic programs of the graduate students in the related departments.
The governing body of the School is the Graduate Studies Executive Council (GSEC) of the School. GSEC ensures that the Faculty Graduate Councils/Committees establish and follow appropriate procedures to carry out their responsibilities associated with graduate programs within the Faculty/School. Decisions made by GSEC are either recommended or provided as information to Senate and Senate subcommittees as required by SGS or university regulations, and to the Faculty Graduate Councils/Committees.
The Office of the School of Graduate Studies is responsible for the implementation of GSEC's policies and the coordination of the admission and degree programs with the departments/programs. The Vice-Provost and Dean, School of Graduate Studies is the chief executive officer of the School and is responsible to the University Provost.
Vice-Provost and Dean
- F. Quadir
- T. MacDonald
Director, Admissions and Student Services
- M. Corbett
Director, Finance and Administration
Committees of the School
The Graduate Studies Executive Council
- Chair: Vice-Provost and Dean of Graduate Studies (or delegate)
The Fellowship Committee
- Chair: TBA
The Academic Appeal Board
- Chair: TBA
Graduate Council/Committees of the School
Engineering and Applied Sciences Graduate Council
- Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Engineering Chemistry, Engineering Physics, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Geological Engineering, Geoengineering, Mechanical and Materials Engineering, Mathematics and Engineering, Mining Engineering, Water and Human Health
Arts and Sciences Graduate Councils
- Art Conservation, Art History, Arts Leadership and Arts Management, Classics, Cultural Studies, English Language and Literature, Film and Media Studies, French Studies, Gender Studies, German Language and Literature, History, Philosophy, Religious Studies
Graduate Departments/Programs-Life and Physical Sciences
- Biology, Chemistry, Computing and Information Science, Environmental Studies, Geography and Planning, Geological Sciences and Geological Engineering, Kinesiology and Health Studies, Mathematics and Statistics, Physics, Engineering Physics and Astronomy, Psychology
Graduate Departments/Programs-Social Sciences
- Economics, Environmental Studies, Geography and Planning, Global Development Studies, Kinesiology and Health Studies, Political Studies, Sociology
Health Sciences Graduate Council
- Biomedical and Molecular Sciences, Health Professions Education, Medical Sciences, Neuroscience, Nursing, Pathology and Molecular Medicine, Public Health Sciences, Rehabilitation Science, Rehabilitation Therapy, Translational Medicine