Records Management and Privacy Office

Records Management and Privacy Office

site header

Dispose of Records

University records must be disposed of in accordance with an authorized Records Retention Schedule. The retention schedule will require that a record be destroyed/deleted, or transferred to the University Archives.

FlowchartRecords Disposition Process


Destroying Records

Destruction of university records cannot be carried out without proper authorization.

Records containing confidential and personal information must be destroyed securely. See the Fact Sheet on Retention and Disposal of Personal Information.

For records stored offsite at Iron Mountain, see Destroy Records at Iron Mountain - Checklist.

For records stored on campus, follow the steps outlined below:

  1. List the records to be destroyed or deleted ensuring no personal information is included. If there are a lot of records, a general description of the content, including the date range, is acceptable.
  2. Complete the Authorization for Destruction of Records form and attach the list of records to the form.
  3. Have the appropriate records custodian sign the form to approve the destruction. Send one copy of the signed form to the Records Management Program.
  4. After the form is signed, make arrangements for appropriate destruction of the records.
  5. Retain a copy of the signed form and lists in your own office recordkeeping system under Retention Schedule AD9250 - Departmental Record Keeping

A secure shredding service is provided by Iron Mountain for on-campus shredding.

Transitory records may be destroyed/deleted in accordance with university guidance. See Fact Sheet - Transitory Records.


Transferring Records to the University Archives

University records that are designated in the records retention schedules as archival (“AR”) must be transferred to the University Archives.  For hardcopy records, follow the steps outlined below:

  1. Contact the University Archives BEFORE sending records to discuss the transfer.
  2. Ensure paper records are in file folders and pack files in proper storage boxes.  Use cubic-foot banker’s boxes (15” long x 12” wide x 10” deep) with handles and removable lids. Boxes can be ordered through the preferred Office Supplies vendors.  Records packed in unsuitable boxes will be returned to the sender immediately.
  3. Complete the Records Transfer to Archives form and have it signed by the person who is accountable for the records (usually a senior officer, director or head of the department or unit).
  4. Prepare a File List listing the contents of each box.
  5. Send a digital (soft copy) of the documentation to both the Archives and the Records Management and Privacy Office
  6. Coordinate physical transfer of the records of archival value to the University Archives. Records identified as non-archival will be returned to the units/departments.

For digital records with an archival disposition, contact the University Archives.