Queen's Accessibility Hub


Accessibility Hub

site header

Faculty & Staff FAQs


1. What is the AODA?

The government enacted the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act in 2005. This act lays the framework for the development of province-wide mandatory standards on accessibility in all areas of daily life.

Please refer to the AODA section for complete information.


2. What is Queen's doing regarding the AODA?

Queen's must complete an annual accessibility plan. To assist with this, an Accessibility Framework was created, comprised of five key areas each served by a working group tasked with assessing the university's compliance with the AODA.

More information on the AODA and the Accessibility Framework are available in the Across Campus section of the Accessibility Hub.


3. Who do I ask if I have some questions regarding a student's accommodations?

Contact the Queen's Student Accessibility Service (QSAS) if you have any questions or concerns.

phone  (613) 533-6467 | email  accessibility.services@queensu.ca | website  QSAS website | locationLaSalle Building, 146 Stuart St, First Floor


4. Who handles mid-term and final exam accommodations?

  • Accommodations on midterms are to be arranged between the student and the instructor. Students should provide the instructor with 5 working days' notice of the need for accommodation.
  • The Exams Office schedules and administers the final examinations for students requiring academic accommodation. Special exam arrangements will only be made with supporting documentation. Exams Office - Special Exam Arrangement procedures


5. Can a student with a disability audio/video record my class?

Yes, some students with a variety of conditions may be accommodated in the lecture environment by digitally recording spoken material. The Ontario Human Rights Code, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (Bill 118), and Queen's University's Policy on Personal Assistive Devices and the Senate Policy Concerning Students with Disabilities place an ethical and legal responsibility on all faculty and staff to ensure that all students have an equal opportunity to access auditory material presented in classes, lectures, seminars, labs and other educational events. For students who face a disadvantage in accessing auditory material, this includes a responsibility to make appropriate accommodations in order to remove any barrier to the students' equal participation in and access to educational events.

Students with disabilities who require a transcription or audio support with notes sign an agreement with Disability Services that recognizes the recording as an accommodation, which cannot be used for any other purpose, nor shared, altered, etc. except for personal study. This is in keeping with the policy on Personal Assistive Devices mandated by the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and the exceptions noted in copyright law. Recording of classroom material is allowable under existing Canadian copyright legislation, due to the exception of 'fair dealing'.


6. I am interested in my making my course materials as accessible as possible. How do I do that?

There a numerous ways and resources available to assist you in making your course materials more accessible. The Accessibility Hub provides information on Universal Instructional Design and provides "How-to guides" on Accessible Documents (Word, PowerPoint, PDF), Website Accessibility, Social Media Accessibility, Video Accessibility, and Moodle Accessibility.

Attend one or more training sessions listed in the "Education, Training, Awareness" section.


7. I think I require some accommodations to do my job. What do I do?

Workplace Accommodations: facilitate a safe and healthy workspace that is preventative in nature and that accommodations are explored prior to a sick leave being required. 

The Specialist, Return to Work and Accommodation Services role is to facilitate any medically substantiated accommodations in the workplace through communications with the employee, healthcare providers, managers and unions, if applicable.  Accommodations generally take three forms: modified hours, modified duties, or a modified workspace.

Specialist, Return to Work and Accommodation Services |   phone  (613) 533-6000 ext: 74575 | email  sydney.downey@queensu.ca | location  Human Resources, Fleming Hall, Stewart-Pollack Wing, First Floor


8. I have a disability and the elevator I need isn't working. What do I do?

Contact: FixIt (Facilities)phone (613) 533-6757 (Campus, 77301) | email  fixit@queensu.ca 

To report issues after 4 pm, individuals may contact the Emergency Report Centre at:

 phone (613) 533-6080 | email  erc@queensu.ca


9. Can someone help with snow removal?

Snow can bring numerous accessibility issues. Who to contact for assistance may depend on where on campus your issue exists. Please refer to the Faculty and Staff with Disabilities "Supports and Services" - Physical Access section for complete information.


10. Is there some help on campus for faculty or staff regarding mental health issues?

The Employee and Family Assistance Program may help you with mental health issues. In-person counselling sessions are available off campus in the Kingston community. Access to the service may also be obtained by you or a family member while travelling or residing elsewhere in Canada and internationally. To connect with your Employee Assistance Program, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week call: In Canada and the United States call: 1 800 387-4765.


11. Who can I talk to regarding health and safety concerns?

For any questions or concerns please contact:

For more information regarding Individualized Emergency Response Plans please contact the Human Resources Department:


12. I am planning an event on campus and I want to make sure it is accessible. What do I do?

The Accessibility Hub has a How-to guide regarding Accessible Event Planning for your reference. You may also contact Queen's Event Services and Queen's Hospitality Services (if serving food and anyone requests special dietary requirements).