The Lilias Kathleen Dolan Entrance Scholarship

Established under the terms of the will of L. Kathleen Dolan.

John H. Dolan (1875-1955), a native of Carleton Place, Ontario, graduated from Queen's (1897) and the College of Education, Hamilton (1898). A teacher of Latin and History, he taught at Picton, Ontario, Oshawa and London, Ontario. He was Principal at Oshawa High School and Sir Adam Beck Collegiate, London. He retired in 1936.

Mr. Dolan married Laura Nugent of Kingston who attended Queen's in 1901 and 1902. Laura was a great-granddaughter of Michael Gross who led the United Empire Loyalists to Kingston. Her grandparents, the Grahams, farmed west of Kingston along Lake Ontario.

Lillias Kathleen Dolan (1903-1990) was born in Kingston, Ontario. After graduating from Queen's (B.A. 1924, M.A. 1925), she spent some time in the United States attending Pratt Institute in New York City, taking a library course and working at Yale University as a Librarian. Returning to Canada she attended the College of Education in Toronto and in 1929 joined the staff of Sir Adam Beck Collegiate as a librarian and teacher of English and History. She retired in 1964.

Kathleen was a world traveler and belonged to many organizations in London, Ontario, including the Woman's Canadian Club, The Blue Stockings, Queen's Alumni, Camera Club and the Metropolitan United Church. She and her sister were avid gardeners and spent many hours amongst their flowers.

Margery Dolan (1909-1985) was born in Oshawa, Ontario. After graduating from Queen's (B.A. Science 1931) she took her M.A. at Toronto University (1932). As a teenager living in London beside Sir Frederick Banting, co-founder of insulin, she became interested in Chemistry. Dr. Banting advised what courses for her to take at university and after graduation as a bio-chemist, he employed her at the Banting Institute in Toronto until the 1940's when she returned to Kingston and worked in the Bio-Chemistry Department of Queen's University under Professor Sinclair. From 1948 until retirement in 1969 she was Head of the Bio-Chemistry Department, Victoria and Westminster Hospitals, London, Ontario.

The family is buried at Cataraqui Cemetery, Kingston, Ontario.