Winter Term FAQs

When can I add a winter term class?

The deadline to add a winter term class was January 19, 2018. This was also the deadline date to drop a winter term class without financial penalty.

How much money will I get back if I drop a class?

If you drop a winter term class by January 19, you will receive a full refund. If you drop between January 20 and February 2, you will receive a 50% refund. If you drop between February 3 and March 2nd, you will receive a 25% refund.

When is the last day I can drop a winter term class or a full year class?

The deadline date to drop winter term classes and full year classes is March 2nd.

How do I change sections of my full year courses?

If you want to change your lecture, lab or tutorial section of a full year class, you need to get permission from the department offering the class. DO NOT attempt to do this yourself on SOLUS as you could mistakenly drop the class.

I am a first-year student and need some help with my course/schedule. Who can I talk to?

First-year students can stop by our office in Dunning Hall anytime from 9 am to noon; 1:00 to 4:00 pm Monday through Friday to speak with a Peer Academic Advisor. The advisors get quite busy during the first two weeks of term, so we recommend that you get to the office early for assistance.

I'm an upper year student and I need some academic advice. Who can I talk to?

We offer academic advising every day. Our office doors open at 8:30 am and close at 4:30 pm each day. Appointments can fill up quickly, so we recommend coming in early.

I have applied to graduate for the spring but want to be sure I am eligible.  Where can I go to verify I can graduate this spring?


If you want to be sure that you are eligible to graduate, you can check with your department or run an Academic Advisement Report in SOLUS to see if you're on track.

I’m trying to enrol in an online course. Why can’t I find it in a SOLUS search?

When you’re searching for an online course in SOLUS, make sure you change the “Course Career” from “Undergraduate” to “Distance Studies.” You should also uncheck the box that says “Show Open Classes Only” so that you can see if the course is already full.

I’m trying to add a class but SOLUS says I don’t have the prerequisite.  What can I do?

If you are unable to add a class because of a requisite error, you will need to contact the department offering the class. Our office cannot override requisite error messages.

I am trying to enrol in an online course but SOLUS is telling me the seats are reserved.  What does that mean?

We reserve some seats in all of our online courses.  The reserved seats are for students who were admitted to the Distance Career.  These students are only allowed to enrol in online courses; they do not have the option of taking on campus courses.  For this reason we hold spaces for them in our online classes.  The good news is that we release those spaces on the first day of class and if there is still space available in the class, you are more than welcome to enrol.

The class I want to enrol in is full. Can I still enrol in it?

We know how disappointing this can be but we cannot overenroll any classes.  Our course enrolment capacities are based on room size and strict fire code regulations which means we cannot over-enroll any classes.  However, if there is a waitlist available, you can add yourself to the waitlist by selecting "Wait List if Class is Full" when you add it to your shopping cart.

How can I add myself to a waitlist?

Add yourself to the waitlist by selecting "Wait List if Class is Full" when you add the course to your shopping cart. Make sure you proceed to “Finish Enrolling.” To view your status on the waitlist, look under “My Class Schedule” (list view).

Note that waitlists are now also available for online courses. For more information on waiting lists, please see

How will taking a course that is an exclusion of another course affect my GPA?

An exclusion is a set of two or more courses that are not the same, but that have considerable overlap in content such that both may not count towards the requirements of your degree. Students are not normally permitted to enrol in a course that excludes one that they have already taken.

If you obtain permission to take a course that is an exclusion of another course(s) that you have taken, the grades in all excluded courses will contribute to your GPA, but you will only be allowed to count one of the courses for credit.

What happens when I retake a class?

When you choose to retake (repeat) a class, only the highest grade is calculated into your cumulative GPA.  There will be a notation on your transcript that the course has been repeated.  You will receive credit for only one of the course attempts.

I am an upper-year student. Can I still change my major/minor?

If you would like to request a Change of Plan at this time, you need to submit an academic change form:  You will need to get this form signed by the undergraduate chair of the department you intend to switch into. You should then submit the form to our office in Dunning Hall. Note that some departments will not process these requests now since the plan change period typically takes place in May and June of each year.

How do I know if the course I chose for my Personal Interest Credit is eligible?

The conditions that must be met in order for a student to be eligible to select a course as their PIC are as follows:

  1. Minimum of 24.0 Queen’s units completed (passed)
  2. Student in a degree program
  3. Cumulative GPA >= 1.60
  4. Maximum of 6.0 units designated (including the current request)
  5. Maximum of one course per term designated
  6. Course must not be core, option or supporting in any Plan in which student is registered

How can I resolve timetable conflicts?

You can find the times that courses will take place in your student centre on SOLUS by "search for classes".  Click on browse course catalog to find a course and view the weight (units), the components (lecture, lab, tutorial), when it is being offered (fall or winter term) as well as the course description. From there you can view the class sections to see how it can fit in your schedule.  You can also search for a course by the time it is offered.  Enter your search parameters (for example, Thursday mornings) and SOLUS will bring up a list of all the courses offered during those time slots.

When adding your courses, add the required or concentration courses first.  If you find that there are conflicts in the times that your courses are offered, you will need to switch sections and/or courses.  Electives should take last priority for scheduling.  If you want an elective course that won't fit in your schedule, you could add it to your planner and take it during another year when it will fit in your schedule.

SOLUS will not permit any timetable conflicts, and this includes waitlisted courses.

Further questions? Please visit our website at, or drop by and see us.  We are located on the main floor of Dunning Hall.  We are open Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.