When you study English online at Queen's with this General BA, you'll learn to read perceptively, analyze clearly, and communicate effectively. You'll explore writers such as Shakespeare, Austen and Bronte, but also engage with current forms such as graphic novels and works of contemporary writers.
The Bachelor of English program plan consists of 90.0 units. 60.0 of these units are electives which can be taken from any subject, at any level and in any order, as long you have (or obtain) the prerequisites for any 200 or 300-level courses. The other 30.0 units must be taken as described below.
- Courses may not be offered every term.
- A maximum of 6.00 units from courses offered by other Faculties and Schools may be counted toward the program and/or Plan requirements. This includes courses in BMED, COMM, GLPH, LAW, NURS and courses in the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science.
- This online program plan has been adapted from the official Faculty of Arts and Science E-Calendar to help online students identify only courses that are being offered online.
1. Core courses (12.0 units)
A. Complete the following:
- ENGL 100 (6.0 units): Introduction to Literary Study
- WRIT 125 (3.0 units): Fundamentals of Academic Essay Writing AND 3.0 units of CWRI* or ENGL**
* CWRI 295 (3.0 units): Introduction to Creative Writing in Short Fiction & Poetry is offered online.
** ASO does not offer any 3.0-unit 100-level ENGL courses online.
B. Complete the following:
- ENGL 200 (6.0 units): History of Literature in English
2. Option courses (18.0 units)
- 12.0 units from:
- ENGL at the 200-level or above (see course list below)
- 6.0 units from:
- ENGL at the 200-level or above OR ENGL_Subs List (see course lists below)
3. Electives (60.0 units)
Selected from all ASO Course offerings.
Total Units Required for ENGL General Degree: 90.0 Units