Designed to provide students with the necessary language skills to effectively work in a bilingual professional environment, the Certificate in French for Professionals will help both new learners and current professionals establish the written and oral communication skills required to meet the specific needs of their workplace. Students will enhance their effective communication skills by applying new vocabulary and expressions in daily interactions, learning how to tailor language for specific business contexts, and constructing documentation necessary for workplace success. Students will also analyze case studies, participate in role-play activities, and create collaborative projects that simulate real work situations.
The French for Professionals certificate is intended for students who are beginning their French language learning (A2*) or who have no more than an intermediate background in French (B1*). The objective is for learners who possess some familiarity with everyday vocabulary, pronunciation, and basic grammar rules in French to progress towards a more skilled (B2*) level of proficiency.
*see DELF (Diplôme d'Études en Langue Française) for reference
Bilingual or francophone students are not eligible to take this certificate.
To ensure your eligibility for the certificate, please review the French Studies | Getting Started webpage and complete the French Background Survey before applying. Contact the department at email@example.com for additional guidance.
This certificate program consists of 12.0 units.
- If you have completed Grade 12 core French or have a background in Extended French or Immersion, you are not eligible to take FREN 107. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to determine how to proceed.
- Courses may not be offered every term.
- Students with no French language ability will need to take FREN 106 prior to enrolling in FREN 107. These students will need to complete 15.0 units to be awarded the Certificate.
- No more than 6.0 units of core and options courses may be counted towards the requirements of both the certificate and another Arts and Science Program.
- This online program plan has been adapted from the official Faculty of Arts and Science E-Calendar to help online students identify only courses that are being offered online.
1. Core courses (9.0 units)
- Complete the following two courses (6.0 units):
- Complete the following course:
- FREN 225 (3.0 units): French in the Professional Workplace
2. Option Courses (3.0 units)
Choose one of the following courses: