In September 2022 we will welcome the first class of Bader College, the brand new name for the Bader International Study Centre! This page has been created to answer some FAQs and also provide useful context so that our students and other stakeholders understand why this important decision has been taken.
The renaming of BISC to Bader College provides a great opportunity to formally recognise our connection to Queen’s University, reaffirming our relationship, and also promote the rigorous academic nature of the courses and research opportunities that we offer. The change of name allows us to ‘relaunch’ the BISC in the global study abroad market, attracting students, researchers and faculty from different countries, which in turn aligns with our desire to develop a stronger and more global profile for Bader College. After all, our benefactor Dr Alfred Bader's original vision was that the Castle should be a place where students are not only educated in a different national setting, but also live and learn alongside students from different countries and worldviews.
Bader College also embodies the broader Queen’s commitment to advancing social impact and sustainability. The university recently ranked 7th globally in the Times Higher Education Impact Rankings for its work in advancing the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals. Recent efforts at Bader College have focused on rewilding and naturalizing the castle estate to help cultivate and preserve the natural environment and diverse species, while providing a living lab for students, staff, and members of the public. These successes, and the unique learning environment we provide absolutely deserve greater recognition.
The decision to rename the BISC also aligns with Queen's University's Strategy, and its desire to enhance our reputation, ensuring that our courses and research opportunities are recognised locally, nationally and internationally.
Following the unveiling of the new name, a new brand identity will be released for Bader College in the coming weeks. We are excited, but understand that some stakeholders, particualrly incoming students may have some questions, so we have done our best to answer some FAQs in the section below:
FROM BISC TO BADER COLLEGE - FAQs
- Bader College remains Queen’s University’s UK campus located in East Sussex, England and will continue to offer the same Queen’s University degree programs and courses as it did as the Bader International Study Centre.
- Please visit the First Year Program page to learn more about our first year study abroad programs where students spend their first year at Bader College and return to Queen’s Kingston campus after first year to complete the remainder of their degree studies.
- Students interested in Bader College’s upper year fall, winter, and summer study abroad programs should visit Bader College’s Upper Year Programs page.
- Yes! Bader College prides itself on academic excellence across all of its programs and courses. The programs and courses offered at Bader College are Queen’s University courses and will count towards your Queen’s University degree.
- No credit transfer is required for Queen’s students as all courses are Queen’s University courses. Students attending Bader College from our Canadian and International partner institutions will require a Letter of Permission to transfer university credits.
- Students who attend Bader College’s first or upper year programs will have “Registered at Bader College, UK” indicated on their transcript for the terms they studied at Bader College.
- At graduation, students who have studied at Bader College for their first year of studies, or an upper year semester will still receive a Queen’s University Degree.
- No. Absolutely not! Bader College’s new name will not impact a student’s ability to attend graduate or medical school.
- Students at Bader College will earn Queen’s University credits towards their degree at Queen’s University, or their home university through a letter of permission.
- It is strongly recommended that students considering graduate or medical school research the requirements for graduate or medical school programs they are interested in and ensure they meet the program's admission requirements.
- Bader College’s previous name “Bader International Study Centre” will remain on first year students’ Offer of Admission and Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies letters and upper year students’ Letter of Attendance, Confirmation of Admission, and Confirmation of Campus Change letters.
- The name change will not impact first year students’ Student Visa applications or upper year students’ Standard Visitor Visa applications, or UK entry as a non-visa national for the 2022-2023 academic year.