Japanese Students in the Courtyard


Canadian PassportYou need a passport to enter the UK. You must submit your passport information to enable the issue of your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number for your Student Visa (if you need one), verify your enrollment and to book tickets and accommodation for trips in Europe.

As a rule, you should not begin your travel with a passport that will expire within six months of your return to your home country. To avoid experiencing difficulties while traveling, we recommend that you obtain a new passport before leaving if there is any possibility of extending your trip to within six months of expiry.

Regardless of your visa status, when you have the passport you will be travelling on, please submit your passport information via the Erez online portal.

If you are a dual national and hold a UK, or Irish passport, you must travel to the UK on this passport, as a British or Irish national you will not be able to obtain a visa on any other passport. Please note however that you should bring both passports to prevent any problems returning to your home country.

Entering the UK

When entering the UK for the first time, at a minimum, students are advised to bring the following based on their visa:

Standard Visitor Visa:

  • Passport.

  • Letter of Acceptance on official headed paper, stating the course name, duration and cost.

  • English language test certificate (this is not a legal requirement, but you may wish to bring one with you if you have one).

Student Visa: 

  • Passport.

  • Certificate of Acceptance to Study (CAS) on official headed paper, stating the course name, duration and cost.

  • English language test certificate (if relevant).

Biometric Residence Permits

You get a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) if you apply to come to the UK for longer than 6 months on a Student Visa. Students on a Standard Visitor Visa will not get a BRP.

You do not have to apply separately for a BRP exactly, as you will get one automatically if your Student Visa application is approved, but you do need to edit your application slightly, as follows:

Applying Online for a Student Visa: Alert Box

When you complete your Student Visa application online you will see the screen ‘Collecting your biometric residence permit (BRP)’.

Click on ‘collect from alternative location’ and type in the ACL code: 2HE732

Your BRP will then be delivered directly to Bader College. When your Student Visa application is approved you will get a ‘vignette’ sticker in your passport giving you permission to travel to and enter the UK. You must travel to the UK within 30 days of the start date on the vignette. You will collect your BRP when you have arrived on campus.

You must not travel to Bader College until you have a valid vignette stamped in your passport!

The BRP confirms your identification and right to study in the UK, your immigration status and any right to work. It contains biographic details (name, date and place of birth) and biometric information (facial image and fingerprints).

You do not have to carry the BRP at all times, but you must show it with your passport when re-entering the UK if you have been travelling.

Your Entry Clearance Vignette (Temporary Visa)

Once your application has been processed and approved, you will receive a temporary visa sticker (vignette) in your passport.

Please check that the details on this vignette are correct. You will need to pay attention to the following:

  • The start and end dates of your vignette
  • Your name and details
  • The Bader College licence number
  • Your working rights

We recommend any errors are amended before entering the UK.