Schengen Visas


"What is a Schengen Visa?"

A Schengen Visa is a short stay visa allowing its holder to circulate in the Schengen area. The Schengen area covers 26 European countries ("Schengen States") without border controls between them.

These countries are: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

With a Schengen Visa you may enter one country and travel freely throughout the Schengen region during the validity of the visa. Internal border controls are limited with no or few stops and checks.

"Do I need one?"

The need for a Schengen Visa will particularly apply to students in the Winter and Summer terms. Currently the Art/Sci Winter program, the Art/Sci Summer program and the Summer Schools (Law, ISGHD) have Midterm Trips to Europe. The EU has a common list of countries whose citizens must have a visa when crossing the external borders and those whose nationals are exempt from that requirement.

Please note that the UK and Ireland are not a part of the Schengen agreement.


You do not need a Schengen Visa if you plan on travelling with one of the following passports:

  • Canada Canada


  • UK UK

  • EU EU, EEA and Swiss citizens

  • Japan Japan

  • South Korea South Korea

Check my country


Common examples of passport holders requiring a Schengen Visa include nationals from:

  • Canada China

  • Nigeria Nigeria

  • India India

  • Turkey Turkey

  • Egypt Egypt

  • Iraq Iraq

Check my country

Top TipsAlert Box

  • You apply for a Schengen Visa at the Embassy or Consulate of the Schengen country which is your port of entry in the Schengen area, or the country where you will be spending the most nights on your trip to the Schengen Space. If you are only visiting one country on your trip, then you apply for your visa at the Consulate of this Schengen country.

  • You can find the forms for the application on the Embassy website of the country that you are applying to.

  • Visit the European Commission Website

  • Most applicants will be able to complete the process entirely online.

  • To apply successfully, generally you need to have at least three months left on your UK immigration visa at the time you return from your trip.

  • Keep your CAS letter handy for confirming your course dates and details of your course of study.

  • The multiple entry visa is valid for up to 90 days, while the single entry visa is valid for the duration of your trip. The holder of a Schengen Visa will be allowed to transit through or stay in the territory of a Schengen State during no more than 90 days in any 180 days period.

  • You must have travel insurance (including medical cover and repatriation or return to country of origin) when you apply for your Schengen Visa.