Lecturer in Development Studies (Canada and the Third World DEVS 100)
Employer: Bader International Study Centre (BISC) - UK campus of Queen’s University (Canada)
Campus: Herstmonceux Castle, Hailsham, East Sussex, BN27 1RN
Contract type: fixed term (1 September 2021 to 30 April 2022)
Salary: £3,625 per class per course per term
Closing date: Monday 17May 2021 (17:00 BST)
Please note: if we receive an excessive number of applications before the closing date, we reserve the right to remove the advertisement early.
We anticipate teaching in person on a COVID-safe campus but candidates must be prepared to teach online if this is not possible.
- Teaching one first year undergraduate course, Canada and the Third World (DEVS100), during the Fall 2021 and Winter 2022 terms.
- Teaching one class of maximum 30 students; 2 hours 40 mins/week and offering 1.5 office hours/week during 12 instructional weeks of term.
- Opportunity to develop the syllabus in line with Queen’s University (Canada) Department of Global Development Studies and BISC Curriculum Committee requirements.
- Work with our Experiential Learning Office to develop and run maximum of two field studies.
- Holder of a relevant post-graduate degree in Development Studies.
- Demonstrable experience of teaching and assessing undergraduate students; early career academics encouraged.
- Commitment to high quality teaching and creating a fully inclusive, positive learning environment; innovative pedagogy welcome.
- Eligibility to work in the UK.
Who are we?
Bader International Study Centre, located at historic Herstmonceux Castle, East Sussex, is the overseas campus of Queen’s University, Canada. Queen’s is a leading Canadian university with high entry levels which attracts top students from around the world.
The BISC is committed to employment equity, inclusion and diversity and supports fair treatment and opportunity for all.
What we can offer you
In addition to salary, we offer a number of other benefits, including:
- access to all of Queen’s digital resources and a small on-site library
- opportunities for relevant training and development
- fully equipped office space
- free on-site parking
- meals scheme (when students are on campus)
- discounted accommodation at the Bader Hall residence
- a working environment comprising an historic building with beautiful gardens and grounds
- friendly, supportive colleagues in the close-knit Castle community
- auto-enrol pension scheme with guaranteed contribution from the BISC.
How to apply
Please see https://www.queensu.ca/bisc/about-us/employment to obtain a job description and person specification.
Download a full Job Description (PDF, 313KB)