HLTH 305/3.0 - Foundations of Health Policy
This course is intended to provide you with a general overview of policy and policy change, with a focus on Canadian health care policy. We will study the history and current structure of Canada’s health care system, and analyze current debates about how Canadians access health care.
On completion of the course, successful students will be able to:
- Discuss theories and processes of policy and policy change
- Explain ideological influences on health policy
- Understand the history and current structure of the Canadian health care system
- Contrast the Canadian health care system with health care systems in other countries
- Discuss current debates about reforms to the Canadian health care system
- Demonstrate enhanced critical thinking, presentation, and writing skills
Experiential Learning Opportunities
Virtual ELOs in HLTH 305 will focus on student engagement outside of the traditional classroom, including an exploration of resarch methods and strategies that support your individual research topic. Applying classroom theory to practical experience provides students with transferable and critical thinking skills situating them for future study or professional careers.