STAM 200/3.0 Introduction to Statistics
Introduces descriptive and inferential statistics and data analysis strategies. Topics include probability, correlation/regression, experimental design and analysis of variance. Online learning and weekly laboratories provide practice in computation, interpretation and communication of statistical findings, and large class review sessions and individual drop in assistance ensure mastery. Applications appropriate to different fields of study will be explored.
After completing this course, successful students should have the knowledge and skills to do the following:
- Identify the features of a data set to determine how best to summarize and display it.
- Choose the appropriate statistical test and provide the rationale for selection.
- Compute basic parametric and nonparametric statistical tests to test hypotheses.
- Interpret the results of statistical tests and data software output to be able to draw valid conclusions.
- Apply knowledge of statistics and research design (e.g., sampling) to critically evaluate research findings.