- You will study five courses per term: each term, choose four courses in your preferred disciplines from the wide range of courses available to you. You will also study the required modules of BISC 100: Thinking Locally (Fall term) and BISC 101: Acting Globally (Winter term).
- You will participate in course-specific Experiential Learning Opportunities (ELOs), usually two each term per subject. ELOs take place on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays throughout the term. Some ELOs take place on site, taking advantage of the Castle's extensive grounds and facilities. ELOs beyond the Castle include visits to a variety of sites of interest such as world-famous museums, unique archives, public debates and performances, festivals, and historic sites.
- During mid-term, you will participate in extended ELOs to important UK cities (Fall term) and European cities (Winter term).
- You will attend ELOs at the Castle, including guest speakers and skills seminars.
- You will experience small seminar group sizes, with an average class size of 14, and close interaction with high-quality faculty.
- The co-curricular framework of activities will enable you to become actively involved in campus life and to gain experiences outside the classroom.
- Throughout your first year you will be able to rely on extensive academic and personal support from the many student-focussed services on campus.
- In second year, you can go on to specialize in one or more subject areas. This is often intensive study in one subject, known as a Major, but you can include the option of less intense study in a secondary subject, the Minor.
- You may even choose balanced study in two different subjects, which is known as the Medial.
- At Queen’s, these different options are known as Plans of Study, and there are over 2000 combinations possible. Choosing to study at the BISC opens up a wide range of available Plans and allows you to tailor your degree to fit your needs.
- The BISC First Year Program is deliberately interdisciplinary, with close contact with your professors, covering a wide range of expertise, so that you can choose the Plan of Study that works for you!