Over the course of six weeks, students will study both Roman and Medieval Britain and take part in over 60 hours of hands-on excavation. History will literally be at your finger-tips as in addition to your classroom studies, you will participate in a professionally-led dig in the castle grounds to assess a medieval site. Our Field School will provide an introduction to archaeological field work, while in the classroom, students will receive expert instruction in CLST 206/3.0 Roman Britain and HIST 332/3.0 Medieval Britain
Our Field School Director – pictured here on an excavation in Luxor – is archaeologist Amelia Fairman, MA who joins the BISC with a wealth of experience in both research and commercial archaeology. Under her direction, participants on the Field School will:
- Receive training in basic archaeological theory and techniques.
- Have access to specialist apparatus and learn about magnetometry from a professional Geophysicist.
- Stay overnight in London to:
- Visit a commercial dig to see how archaeologists work around mega construction projects.
- Speak to experts and receive insights into archaeology as a profession.
- Visit an archaeologists' office to understand how finds are processed and preserved.
- Visit the British Museum to see to see world famous archaeological finds.
- In partnership with The University of Waterloo, contribute to a Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada-funded study of climate change in the flood-plains near the castle.
Program Schedule 2018
- Summer Term begins 7th May 2018 and ends 15th June 2018
Enrolment / Deadline
- Deadline for applications is 15th March 2018
- Undergraduate student with Level 2 standing and in good academic standing.
- This exclusive course is offered to just 18 students, so be sure to apply before the deadline day.
- $8,620 (includes tuition, residence and meals at the Castle, transportation and entrance fees for field studies. Students will need additional funds for personal spending, some meals during field studies, health and travel insurance, and transport to and from the UK).