Experiential Learning in Online Instruction
Information for Fall 2020 - Winter 2021
Experiential Learning will continue to be a key feature of the BISC academic experience in Fall 2020 and winter 2021. In the fall, Experiential Learning Opportunities (ELOs) will be provided virtually, through a combination of web conferences, discussion forums, social media, and e-portfolios, In the winter, students will be given the opportunity to access those resources and institutions in person to further their personal reflection, creation of new knowledge, and development of transferable skills.
Drawing both on the BISC’s well-known celebration of diversity and innovation and on our extensive experience in designing and delivering cutting edge ELOs, the 2020-21 EL curriculum has been designed to respond to a pedagogic ethos that emphasizes the process over the outcome and focuses on student inclusivity and personalised reflection as key elements of the EL experience.
Students should expect to see a breath of different approaches in the design and delivery of virtual and in person ELOs: for some courses the EL experience will be front and centre of the course design and will be developed over a number of weeks, while for others it might be concentrated over a few days. Equally, some courses might include one major EL event extended over several topics, while others might opt for a few shorter ELOs scattered across the term.
What does this mean for you as a student?
Your instructor will create opportunities and will support you in taking your learning beyond the virtual classroom.
Are you interested in:
- Art History? Virtually tour The British Museum with your professor and then go to see it in person in the Winter term.
- Psychology? Study how animals learn through live online training sessions with your own pets (or family!)
- Chemistry? Learn to set up a kitchen lab to create your own shampoo brand using essential oils and drugstore supplies.
- Health Studies? Go out in your area and analyse your local environment for accessibility and inclusion using virtual means.
- Languages? Explore virtual reality to travel and multiply your language exchange opportunities.