Prior to leaving on independent travel, sign-out at Bader Reception indicating when you are traveling and returning, where you will be, and your contact information. Please also inform a friend of your travel plans.
To help you remain safe we encourage you to keep the following information close to hand when travelling:
- The Bader Hall Reception number: 0044 1323 834400
- The location and contact information of the local police and other local emergency support services (e.g. the equivalent numbers to “911”) - 999 in the UK and 112 in Europe.
- The Emergency Contact Number for Queen’s University, provided on the Emergency Contact Card (+1 (613) 533-6111).
- Contact information for your travel providers (e.g. airline, bus company, etc.) as well as information regarding changing/obtaining tickets in the host country.
- Address and telephone number of the Embassy for your home country.
- Local contacts for support (friends, other Castle students)
- Itinerary for departing host country (leave copies with local and family contacts)
- Emergency contact information for family and friends at home
- Alternative contact in the event your primary emergency cannot be reached
- Insurance (review your health insurance for implications of civil unrest; purchase trip cancellation insurance; ensure your insurance information is readily accessible; know the relevant phone numbers for your policy; know how to access your insurance from abroad)
- Check your email frequently, in case of emergency updates from the BISC.
In the Event of an Emergency While Abroad
If you are in a situation that declines to the point your welfare is threatened, you should:
- Contact the local authorities for immediate assistance
- Contact Bader Hall Reception to speak with a Student Services staff member
- Contact your local embassy for assistance
- Contact Queen’s Security using the number on their Emergency Contact Card to report on the situation and to initiate the Emergency Protocol
- If the situation warrants, contact your insurance company (emergency medical, travel arrangements, etc.)