Queen's University

Website Welcome5

Information for...

Search the BISC

Search and Sign In

Applying for a Standard Visitor Visa

Applying for a Standard Visitor Visa

Who Needs a Standard Visitor Visa?

Visa Nationals who are:

  • Studying for the fall or winter terms, but not both
  • Upper Year students in the summer school
  • Upper Year students in specialised programmes in the summer term
  • Law students in the Global Law Programme

If you are a non-visa national

Non-visa nationals can apply for entry as a standard visitor on arrival in the UK as long as they arrive directly into the UK from outside of the UK/Republic of Ireland common travel area. Currently students on the following passports are considered non-visa nationals:

  • Canada
  • EU, EEA and Swiss citizens
  • Japan
  • Mexico
  • South Korea
  • UK
  • USA

What you need at the UK border

You must provide a valid passport which should be valid for the whole of your stay in the UK.

You may also be asked to prove that:

  • you’ve been accepted on to a course by an accredited institution, for example a letter of acceptance on official headed paper stating the course name, duration and cost
  • your research or training is relevant to the course you’re studying overseas, for example a letter from your home education institution describing how it’s relevant
  • you’re able to support yourself and your dependents during your trip (or have funding from someone else to support you)
  • you’re able to pay for your return or onward journey (or have funding from someone else)
  • you’ve arranged accommodation for your stay
  • you’ll leave the UK at the end of your visit

Bring your Letter of Attendance (LoA) from Queen's University and your Confirmation of Admission for UK entry letter (CoA) from the BISC, which demonstrates how you will pay for your studies/living costs and evidence that you intend to return to your home country, such as a return air ticket or a letter from your home University stating that you are required to return. The Immigration Officer will stamp your passport and write the letters “S.T.V” (or similar) next to the entry stamp. You need to provide original documents, not copies and you will need to provide a certified translation of any documents that aren’t in English or Welsh.

Arriving in the Republic of Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands

You cannot apply for a standard visitor visa on arrival if you enter via the Republic of Ireland, Isle of Man, Guernsey or Jersey (countries in the Common Travel Area). This is because there is no immigration control at the UK port of entry. If you want to enter the UK as a visitor through one of these countries, apply for a standard visitor visa before you leave home.

If you are a visa national

Visa nationals need to apply for a Standard Visitor Visa before travelling to the UK.

When you apply you will need to provide:

  • a current passport
  • a page in your passport that’s blank on both sides for your visa.
  • one passport-sized colour photograph
  • evidence that you can support yourself during your trip1
  • details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans2
  • your tuberculosis (TB) test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test
  • contact details for at least one parent or guardian in your home country (if you’re under 18 years old)         
  • You may need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances, such as evidence of your English language qualifications. UK Visas and Immigration does not specify what documents are acceptable.

1The BISC will issue you a Confirmation of Admission for UK Entry letter (CoA) prior to your departure to the UK. This CoA will indicate that you have paid all of your course fees and will not have recourse to public funds. You may have to submit further evidence depending on your application - the UK Council for International Student Affairs provides further information.

2The CoA will also include details of your residential address while in the UK.

Please note: You need to provide the original documents. You also need to provide a certified translation of any documents that aren’t in English or Welsh.

The Bader International Study Centre (Queen’s University, Canada) is committed to creating a safe and inclusive environment that is fair, positive, and supportive for all members of our community.
We strive to ensure all members’ views are valued and shared in a secure environment through a commitment to upholding equity*, diversity**, inclusion***, and advancing indigenous initiatives.
The BISC supports the fair treatment and opportunity for all by asserting the importance of non-discriminatory treatment either directly or indirectly on the ground of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.   

*Equity: Substantive fairness for everyone thereby ensuring that members of equity-seeking groups are able to achieve full participation in the university (BISC). 

**Diversity: The representation of the population with respect to designated groups. 

***Inclusion: The climate and acceptance of differences that comes with diversity i.e. different ways of living and working. 

Land acknowledgement: Queen’s University, Canada is situated on Anishinaabe and Haudenosaunee Territory.

Bader International Study Centre
Herstmonceux Castle
Hailsham, East Sussex
United Kingdom, BN27 1RN
Phone: +44 1323 834444
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Undergraduate Admission and Recruitment
Gordon Hall, 74 Union Street
Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario
Canada, K7L 3N6
Phone: (613) 533-2218
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Follow the BISC on Social Media


Website Privacy Statement