Queen's University

Website Welcome5

Information for...

Search the BISC

Search and Sign In

Who Needs a Short-term Study Visa?

A Short-term Study visa is issued for a maximum of six months and is suitable for:

  • Upper Year students studying for the Fall or Winter semesters, but not both.
  • Upper Year students in the Summer School
  • Upper Year students in the Specialised Programs in the Summer semester
  • Law students in the Global Law Program

Students coming to study in the First Year program or Upper Year students studying for Fall and Winter semester and who require a visa must apply for a Tier 4 visa.


If you enter the UK with a Short-term Study visa, or a Short-term Student Visa (6 months) you cannot:

  • work - paid, unpaid, or voluntarily
  • extend your visa in the UK for more studies, or apply for other visas from within the UK
  • undertake a paid, unpaid or voluntary work placement, even if this is part of your studies

If you are looking to study more than 6 months you will need to apply for a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa.

If you are a non-visa national

Currently students on the following passports are considered non-visa nationals:

  • Canada
  • EU
  • Japan
  • Mexico
  • South Korea
  • UK
  • USA

If in doubt, use the online tool at https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa.

Non-visa nationals can apply for entry as a short-term student (6 months) on arrival in the UK as long as they arrive directly into the UK from outside of the UK/Republic of Ireland common travel area.

Bring your Letter of Attendance (LoA) from Queen's University and your Confirmation of Admission for UK entry letter (CoA) from the BISC, which demonstrates how you will pay for your studies/living costs, and evidence that you intend to return to your home country - such as a return air ticket or a letter from your home University stating that you are required to return. The Immigration Officer will stamp your passport and write the letters “S.T.V” (or similar) next to the entry stamp.

If you are a visa national

To check if you are a visa national, go to https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa. If you do require a visa, you will need to apply for a Short-term Study Visa (https://www.gov.uk/study-visit-visa/overview).

You need to apply for your Short-term Study visa before travelling to the UK. You will need to fill the online application form that you can find on the Visa4UK website. 

You are advised to follow the guidance contained in this document to ensure you enter the correct information.

When you apply you will need to provide:

  • a current passport or other valid travel identification
    • a page in your passport that’s blank on both sides for your visa.
  • one passport-sized colour photograph
  • evidence that you can support yourself during your trip, e.g., bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months1
  • details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans - you shouldn’t pay for accommodation or travel until you get your visa2
  • your tuberculosis (TB) test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test
  • contact details for at least one parent or guardian in your home country (if you’re under 18 years old)         
  • You may need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances, such as evidence of your English language qualifications. UK Visas and Immigration does not specify what documents are acceptable.

1The BISC will issue you a Confirmation of Admission for UK Entry letter (CoA) prior to your departure to the UK. This CoA will indicate that you have paid all of your course fees and will not have recourse to public funds. You may have to submit further evidence depending on your application - the UK Council for International Student Affairs provides further information.

2The CoA will also include details of your residential address while in the UK.

You need to provide the original documents. You also need to provide a certified translation of any documents that aren’t in English or Welsh.

Bader International Study Centre
Herstmonceux Castle
Hailsham, East Sussex
United Kingdom, BN27 1RN
Phone: +44 1323 834444
Fax: +44 1323 834499
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Undergraduate Admission and Recruitment
Gordon Hall, 74 Union Street
Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario
Canada, K7L 3N6
Phone: (613) 533-2218
Fax: (613) 533-6810
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Facebook Small Instagram Small Twitter Small