Queen's University

Website Welcome5

Information for...

Search the BISC

Search and Sign In

Do I Need a Visa?

Do I need a Visa?

Whether or not you require a visa to come to the UK to undertake a course of study at the BISC will depend upon:

  • your country or countries of nationality as specified on your passport
  • How many termsyou intend to study at the BISC.

If you are a dual passport holder and one of your passports is from the UK, we encourage you to enter the UK on this passport, in which case you do not need to apply for a Visa.

Check here to see if you need a Visa https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa

Study periods of 6 months or less

If you are a non-visa national

Non-visa nationals can apply for entry as a standard visitor on arrival in the UK as long as they arrive directly into the UK from outside of the UK/Republic of Ireland common travel area. Currently students on the following passports are considered non-visa nationals:

  • Canada
  • EU, EEA and Swiss citizens
  • Japan
  • Mexico
  • South Korea
  • UK
  • USA

If you are a visa national

Visa nationals need to apply for a Standard Visitor Visa before travelling to the UK.

What you can and cannot do

You can visit the UK to study at an accredited institution for up to 6 months, this includes English language courses.

You can also do:

  • a short piece of research that’s relevant to your course overseas
  • an ‘elective’ - an optional additional placement, if you’re studying medicine, veterinary medicine and science, or dentistry
  • a recreational course of up to 30 days, for example a dance course

You cannot:

  • study at a state funded school or academy
  • do a course that lasts longer than 6 months (except if you’re doing a distance learning course)
  • do paid or unpaid work (this includes work experience or work placements, unless it is an eligible medical, veterinary or dentistry placement)
  • live in the UK for long periods of time through frequent or successive visits
  • get public funds(benefits)

Study periods of more than 6 months

You will need a Student Visa. This visa is the only option for First Year students and Upper Year students studying for both Fall and Winter terms.

The Bader International Study Centre (Queen’s University, Canada) is committed to creating a safe and inclusive environment that is fair, positive, and supportive for all members of our community.
We strive to ensure all members’ views are valued and shared in a secure environment through a commitment to upholding equity*, diversity**, inclusion***, and advancing indigenous initiatives.
The BISC supports the fair treatment and opportunity for all by asserting the importance of non-discriminatory treatment either directly or indirectly on the ground of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.   

*Equity: Substantive fairness for everyone thereby ensuring that members of equity-seeking groups are able to achieve full participation in the university (BISC). 

**Diversity: The representation of the population with respect to designated groups. 

***Inclusion: The climate and acceptance of differences that comes with diversity i.e. different ways of living and working. 

Land acknowledgement: Queen’s University, Canada is situated on Anishinaabe and Haudenosaunee Territory.

Bader International Study Centre
Herstmonceux Castle
Hailsham, East Sussex
United Kingdom, BN27 1RN
Phone: +44 1323 834444
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Undergraduate Admission and Recruitment
Gordon Hall, 74 Union Street
Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario
Canada, K7L 3N6
Phone: (613) 533-2218
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Follow the BISC on Social Media


Website Privacy Statement