Whether or not you require a visa to come to the UK to undertake a course of study at the BISC will depend upon:
- your country or countries of nationality
- How many terms you intend to study at the BISC.
Non European Economic Area (EEA) National
You do need a visa to study at the BISC if you are a national from a country outside the EEA or Switzerland. The type of visa you will need depends upon how long your study period is.
Study periods of 6 months or less
This visa is only suitable for Upper Year students studying for a single semester and/or in a Summer program. This visa prohibits you from:
- working (paid or unpaid)
- extending your visa in any category from within the UK
- bringing your dependents
How to apply for a Short-term Study Visa
Study periods of more than 6 months
You will need a Tier 4 (General) Student visa. This visa is the only option for First Year students and Upper Year students studying for both Fall and Winter semesters.
How to apply for a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa
European Economic Area (EEA)/Swiss National
You do not need a visa to study in the UK if you are a national of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland. You will need an EEA national/Swiss passport or ID card to enter the UK. You may need a:
- European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) - Should you require medical treatment during your studies You will need to apply for this in your home country before you come to the UK
- Work permit - Should you decide to work while studying at the BISC, most EEA nationals can work without restriction in the UK, however you may need to register your work or be subject to the Worker Authorisation Scheme depending on your nationality.
If you are a dual national of a non-European and European country, we recommend you enter the UK using your EEA national/Swiss passport or ID card. Once you are in the UK you have the right to work (see EEA/Swiss national link below) and travel freely in and out of the UK. You are advised to bring both passports with you to prevent any issues when returning to your home country.