Queen's University

Website Welcome5

Information for...

Search the BISC

Search and Sign In

Personal Affairs

Power of Attorney

Will your OSAP or other loan or tax forms become due while you are overseas? Will you need someone to keep up to date with your banking? If so, it is very important that you arrange for a Power of Attorney before you leave. This gives your representative the authority to sign forms on your behalf.

Please remember that Queen’s University is unable to discuss academic or financial matters with any person acting on your behalf unless you have provided their full name in the “release of information” section on SOLUS.

Dual Citizenship

Dual citizenship means that you are considered a citizen of more than one country.  Find out whether you, or any family members, are citizens of another country before you leave.  Some countries may claim you as a citizen if you were born there, if one of your parents is a citizen, or if you are considered a citizen under that country’s laws. 

There are privileges to having dual citizenship, such as being able to work or study in some countries without having to get a visa; however, there may also be unpleasant surprises.  If you are considered a national you may be compelled to do military service or pay special taxes.  You should also note that you may be allowed entrance into a country under one passport but not the other, or may be required to obtain a visa for entrance under one passport but not the other.  If you do run into problems because of your dual citizenship, contact the Embassy, High Commission, or Consulate in your host country immediately.

Income Taxes

If you are out of the country during tax season and you have earnings from the previous year which you are required to declare for income tax purposes, you should contact the Embassy, High Commission, or Consulate in your host country for information on your tax obligations. Canadian students, please note that information on taxation while abroad is available for reference. Also, please note that Tuition, Education and Textbook Amount Certificates - T2202As can be printed directly from SOLUS and will not be mailed. You will be notified via your Queen’s email when T2202As are available for download.


Make sure to keep a photocopy of your passport, credit/debit cards, visa, and any other important documentation at home in case you lose it while you are travelling. Keep the copies in a different place to the originals.

If you have important documents that you will require limited access to, you can request the Finance Office to store documents in a safe. After sorting documents in a Finance safe, the Finance Office will require 24 hours of notice to retrieve the documents.

Property Insurance

The Bader International Study Centre shall not be liable for lost, stolen or damaged items of personal property, no matter how caused, wherever this may occur, including storage facilities. It is the responsibility of the student to arrange for insurance coverage for personal property brought into residence.

Some homeowner’s insurance policies contain a clause about coverage extending worldwide, so check your policy, or that of your parents/guardians, to see if you need any additional coverage.  Normally, if an item is lost or stolen a copy of the police report filed at the time of loss or theft will be needed before any claim will be considered.  Taking preventive measures will decrease the likelihood of theft or property loss.

The Bader International Study Centre (Queen’s University, Canada) is committed to creating a safe and inclusive environment that is fair, positive, and supportive for all members of our community.
We strive to ensure all members’ views are valued and shared in a secure environment through a commitment to upholding equity*, diversity**, inclusion***, and advancing indigenous initiatives.
The BISC supports the fair treatment and opportunity for all by asserting the importance of non-discriminatory treatment either directly or indirectly on the ground of age, disability, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.   

*Equity: Substantive fairness for everyone thereby ensuring that members of equity-seeking groups are able to achieve full participation in the university (BISC). 

**Diversity: The representation of the population with respect to designated groups. 

***Inclusion: The climate and acceptance of differences that comes with diversity i.e. different ways of living and working. 

Land acknowledgement: Queen’s University, Canada is situated on Anishinaabe and Haudenosaunee Territory.

Bader International Study Centre
Herstmonceux Castle
Hailsham, East Sussex
United Kingdom, BN27 1RN
Phone: +44 1323 834444
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Undergraduate Admission and Recruitment
Gordon Hall, 74 Union Street
Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario
Canada, K7L 3N6
Phone: (613) 533-2218
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Follow the BISC on Social Media


Website Privacy Statement