By: Madison Danford
The first month of this new semester has come and gone, and as we approach the midterm season, we must take a step back and enjoy this season we have upon us before the snow touches down. Autumn in Kingston is so beautiful, and there are many fantastic opportunities to get outside and enjoy the festivities! For instance, this past weekend, I took in the Open Farms Harvest, an event to celebrate local farms, food and beverage producers and chefs. We got to taste, drink and learn about the local cuisine and beverages from across the region. Although this event has come and gone, there are several other opportunities to experience fall in Kingston! Here are a few suggestions and things I’m most looking forward to!
- Wynn Farms – Open daily for the month
- Apple Orchard and Pumpkin Patch: If you want the Instagram-able fall photo, this is the place! This is the perfect fall day! Spend an afternoon in the apple orchard picking fresh apples, choose your pumpkin, and enjoy some fresh apple cider and, my favourite, a candy apple around the fire at Wynn Farms.
- Moonlight Corn Maze: Looking for something to do in the evening? Grab your flashlight and trek through the corn maze in the dark! This year’s corn maze theme is Under the Sea! This maze is not haunted or spooky, so this is the perfect evening for those who don’t like to be spooked (that’s me!).
- Haunted Corn Maze: For my spooky friends, who like to be scared, this is for you (not for me, no, thank you!) Come after 10pm for a haunted, spooky corn maze throughout October!
- Movie Night at Kingston Penitentiary
- Kingston Pen Tours is excited to launch Movie Night at the Pen, an outdoor movie screening! The movies selected are classic prison-themed movies that match the backdrop! Bring your chair, bundle up and come early to experience this unique film experience!
- Ghost and Mystery Cruise – 1000 Island Boat Cruises
- Sail the Kingston harbour at night for a 90-minute spooky boat cruise that tells tales of death, murder, wreckage and mystery from this historic city.
- Pumpkinferno at Fort Henry
- Back by popular demand for another season, Pumpkinferno at Fort Henry! Take a wander through the historical site and see the hand-carved artificial pumpkins! Get your tickets to visit Fort Henry as it transforms into a pumpkin wonderland!
Take a break from marking, classes, research, and that never-ending ‘to-do’ list to get outside, enjoy the fall colours take in all that Kingston and surrounding areas have to offer! Comment below what your favourite things to do in Kingston are!