Can the university request a vote of employees on the university’s final offer?

Yes. Any time (before or after the commencement of a strike or lock-out), the university may ask the Minister of Labour to direct a vote of the employees in the affected bargaining unit as to their acceptance or rejection of the university’s final offer on all matters remaining in dispute.

Upon the receipt of such a request, the Minister must direct that a vote, to accept or reject the university’s offer, be conducted.

The vote is supervised and conducted by Ministry of Labour officials and the result of the vote is public. This process can only be used once

Posted in: FAQs: Collective Bargaining

Share on FacebookTweet about this on Twitter