What if the university and the union do not reach agreement during conciliation?

The conciliation officer informs the Minister of Labour that the union and the university have not reached  agreement on a collective agreement during the conciliation process. While the Minister has the option at this point to appoint a Conciliation Board this practice is rare.  As such, the conciliation officer asks the Minister of Labour to issue what is known as a “No Board” report. The 17th calendar day after the date of the No Board report becomes the “strike deadline” date – on or after that date, the union is legally allowed to call a strike, and the university is legally allowed to lock-out employees in the bargaining unit.

Posted in: FAQs: Collective Bargaining

Share on FacebookTweet about this on Twitter