What is conciliation?

Conciliation occurs following the submission of a request by the union or the university to the Ontario Ministry of Labour to appoint a conciliator to serve as a neutral third party to help the parties resolve their differences.  The parties can also file a joint request to appoint a conciliation officer.

A request for conciliation is a common occurrence during collective bargaining.

Conciliation must be completed before the union can be in a position to engage in a legal strike, or the university can be in a legal position to lock-out employees in the bargaining unit.

Posted in: FAQs: Collective Bargaining

Share on FacebookTweet about this on Twitter