Department of Global Development Studies


Global Development Studies

site header

DEVS Graduate Program Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Do I need to get in touch with a potential supervisor before I apply to the DEVS graduate program?
A: Due to the constraints caused by the Covid pandemic, international applicants for a September 2021 entry must secure a firm supervisory commitment from a DEVS faculty member prior to applying. Domestic students are not required to secure formal support; however, they should indicate in their application how their research interests align with DEVS research themes. Although not required, it is always beneficial for students to reach out to potential supervisors prior to applying to the program.

Q: I am in my fourth year of my undergraduate program and will not have my final transcript until after the application deadline. What should I do ?
A: It is not unusual for students to apply to the MA program during their fourth year. You need to arrange for your university to mail your current transcript to the Queen's School of Graduate Studies by the application deadline. If the Admissions Committee decides to offer you a place in the MA program, your acceptance will be conditional upon Queen's University receiving your final transcript showing you have completed the requirements for your undergraduate degree.

Q:   I am a permanent resident of Canada who grew up and was educated in a country where English is not the native language. Am I required to take TOEFL or IELTS English language competency testing as part of my application to the MA Program?
 If you are a permanent resident of Canada or a Canadian citizen, you are exempt from the English language testing requirement.

Q:   I am an international student whose native language is not English, but I have studied at an English language university.  Can I be granted an exemption from the English language testing requirement?
  The School of Graduate Studies, not the Department of Global Development Studies, considers English language testing exemption requests on a case by case basis.  Please apply to the Director of Admissions, School of Graduate Studies, giving details of your university-level studies in English, with dates.  Please review the information listed on the School of Graduate Studies website.