Are you an international student? Everything you need to know about applying to Queen's Employment Relations Programs from outside Canada! 

Check out these following resources for help with life at Queen's:

International Student Guidebook 
Queen's University International Centre 
International Student General Resources

Need further help? If you have a question that is not addressed below in our FAQs, please email us.


Does the MIR program accept international students?

Every year, the Master of Industrial Relations (MIR) Program at Queen’s trains a modest group of students with a variety of academic backgrounds for careers in human resources and labour relations. While the program focuses on providing an education on human resources, labour policy, and law in a Canadian context, we do welcome some international students into our full time program.

What are the eligibility requirements for international students in the program?

The academic requirement for admission is a four year Canadian honours bachelor degree with a minimum of a B+/GPA 3.3/77-80%, or equivalent. Competition for acceptance into the program can be quite high; with an average of 100 international applicants competing for the single available funded placement in the program. The academic averages of a successful applicant typically exceed the minimum eligibility requirement.  As such, before applying, it is in an applicant’s best interest to make a well-considered decision regarding their competitive chances for acceptance into the program. 

IMPORTANT:  applicants who have completed their undergraduate degree from a post-secondary institution outside of Canada are required to submit GRE scores with their application.  We are unable to comment on the competitiveness of scores as this depends on the annual pool of applicants. 

It is difficult for me to obtain a GRE/GMAT test in my country. Can I have this requirement waived?

It is an absolute requirement for any applicant who has obtained their undergraduate degree outside of Canada to submit either GRE or GMAT test results, along with their application. This is not a requirement that will be waived. 

The GRE institution code to use for Queen's is 0949, and the department code is 4204.

The GMAT institution code to use for the MIR is Q21-9N-62

Test results should be directed to, after the application has been submitted.

What are the English Language proficiency requirements for the program?

At Queen's University, English is the language of instruction and communication. Proficiency in English is, therefore, a prerequisite for admission. Any applicant whose first language is not English but who, within the 12 month period prior to the month of application, has studied for at least one complete year at a post-secondary institution where English is the official language of instruction, may submit with their application a request to be exempted from the English Language Proficiency test requirement. The Director of Admissions will review the request. The applicant will be informed of the results of the review.

The following English Language Proficiency tests are accepted by the School of Graduate Studies at Queen's University:

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB)
International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic)

Read more for full details on score requirements and any other English language requirement questions.

Can I send you my international educational transcripts for confirmation of eligibility, prior to applying?

Queen's Employment Relations Programs will not vet transcripts or convert grades prior to application for the MIR. Your decision to apply should involve some research into how your own international academic credentials convert to the required four year Canadian honours bachelor degree, as outlined above, to ensure you are eligible for admission. 

Are there any special procedures to follow when applying as an international student?

While the application procedures for international students are no different than those for Canadian applicants, generally more time is required to receive the necessary documentation and to evaluate the academic record. Two letters of reference are required from professors under whom the applicant has recently studied. Official transcripts for all undergraduate programs and subsequent graduate work must also accompany the application. Given that many international students who apply to Queen's do so from a great distance, it is recommended that sufficient time be allowed for these materials to be received. January to March are heavy months for processing applications for admission in September. It is suggested that the application process begin as early as September of the year preceding the year in which you wish to enter the program. 

Can I study part time in the MIR program, as an international student?

Due to study status restrictions, Queen’s University only will only accept international students who are able to obtain a full time study visa permit in the Master of Industrial Relations program. Part time studies is not possible.

How do I go about arranging for a study permit, if successful in my application to the program?

International applicants who have been accepted into the School of Graduate Studies must obtain a Study Permit and visa (if required) and complete any required immigration procedures. Information about applying for Canadian immigration documents is available through the Queen's University International Centre (QUIC).

Will the Master of Industrial Relations lead me to a PhD eligibility?

No, the Master of Industrial Relations degree is a professional program that is course based. While the program does have the potential for research project work, the final paper does not meet a typical PhD preparatory thesis requirement.

What can I expect regarding the education modality, learning expectations and style of instruction in the MIR program?

The Master of Industrial Relations program involves a great deal of written papers, journals notations, examinations and submissions, as well as spoken presentations, mock arbitration and conflict resolution exercises. A strong grasp and comfort level in the daily use of the English language, in both written and verbal form is recommended to be successful in these key aspects of the program.

Students will be regularly involved in team work assignments, where work is distributed equally among the members. It is recommended that applicants be prepared for this type of learning environment, when considering the program.

It is expected that students attend all classes in person, be on time, and conduct themselves in a professional manner in keeping with the program and Canadian employment paradigms.

How much is the tuition for international students for the MIR program?

Students in the MIR program pay a flat fee for the program, as opposed to a per course rate. For complete information about tuition fees and ancillary fees information, please review the information on the website of the Office of the University Registrar. You will find details under the Employment Relations tab here: Graduate Fee Information.

Is there tuition assistance for all international students who are accepted into the full time MIR program?

As the program has limited capacity and funding, we are only able to offer ONE financially assisted international placement per academic year in our full-time 10 month MIR program. We may offer placement to other students of academic merit, but there will be no monetary assistance available to them to offset their tuition costs.

Am I covered for medical and dental costs, as an international student at Queen’s?

International students must have health insurance coverage by enrolling in the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP). This mandatory health plan provides basic medical coverage for most doctor and hospital services in Ontario. View the cost of the plan

The following individuals are required to have UHIP coverage each year:
All international members (student or non-student) and their dependents.
All students, non-students and their dependents who do not have valid Canadian provincial/territorial health insurance (such as: Alberta Health, OHIP, etc.).

More information is available from the Queen's University International Centre (QUIC): or email:

Where can I go for support as I navigate the process of coming to Queen’s and Canada, as an international student?

The Queen’s University International Centre (QUIC) is an international education support service for students, faculty and staff at Queen’s. Through its activities, the Centre promotes an internationally informed and cross culturally sensitive university community.

QUIC has been working to promote cross-cultural understanding for more than 50 years through a wide range of services and programs. The Centre's history dates back to 1961, when the International Club was established at Queen's to help international students adjust to life at Queen's and in Kingston. QUIC provides support for international students and their families throughout their stay at Queen's. The International Student Advisor will provide guidance to students on issues including immigration, travel, housing, finances, academic and personal matters. During the academic year, services and programs offered include on-site orientation programs for the fall and winter terms, a host-family program, and practical information sessions on topics of interest to all students. QUIC is located in Mitchell Hall.

QUIC Website
Telephone: 613-533-2604
Fax: 613-533-3159