A survey of Canadian literature in English from its beginnings to the contemporary period. Readings will include poetry, short fiction and nonfiction, as well as novels from various eras; authors to be studied may include Moodie, Atwood, Klein, Richler, Callaghan, Ondaatje, Laurence, Munro, Brand, and King.
- Atwood, Margaret. The Edible Woman. 1969.
- Fraser, Brad. Poor Super Man. 1995.
- Highway, Tomson. Dry Lips Oughta Move to Kapuskasing. 1989.
- Johnson, Basil. Moose Meat and Wild Rice. 1978.
- King, Thomas. Green Grass, Running Water. 1993.
- Leacock, Stephen. Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town. 1912.
- Lecker, Robert, ed. Open Country: Canadian Poetry in English. 2008.
- MacDonald, Ann-Marie. Goodnight Desdemona (Good Morning Juliet). 1988.
- Richler, Mordecai. The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz. 1959.
- Scott, Duncan Campbell. In the Village of Viger. 1896.
- Cuddon, Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory
- 45% - Essays (x4)
- 20% - Discussion Forums (x4)
- 5% - Quizzes (x5)
- 30% - 3hr Proctored Final Examination
- Level 2 or above
Please note this course is offered through the Arts and Science Online Office (ASO) for more information please see https://www.queensu.ca/artsci_online/courses/canadian-literature.