This course offers a close reading of the 12 books of Milton’s 1674 epic in the context of critical statements on the poem.
Course goals: to develop skills in analyzing poetry, assessing and applying criticism, expressing ideas about literature in written and oral formats.
- The Norton Critical Edition of Paradise Lost, ed., Gordon Teskey, 2nd edition, 2020
- online resources.
Assessment will consist of:
- Class participation
- A presentation (as a member of a team)
- Short essay on a passage from Book 9
- Longer final essay, including an annotated bibliography
- A 2-hour final exam
- Prerequisite ENGL 100
- Registration in an English major or Joint Honours plan