While the short story is a genre often considered to have begun in the nineteenth century, this seminar course considers the short narrative, the tale, and the concept of ‘story’ as they emerged in Britain in the eighteenth century.
- Scholarly articles concerning key texts and relevant critical theory concerning genre
- Tales from eighteenth-century periodicals
- Selections from The Arabian Nights’ Entertainments
- Grimms' Children’s and Household Tales.
- Oral seminar (35%)
- A research essay on an original topic, including references to secondary sources (50%)
- Participation in discussion (15%)
Please be advised that speaking in front of a group is a crucial part of a senior honours seminar. Class participation is half based on attendance and half upon evidence of preparation for and engagement with class discussions.
**Assessments subject to change**
- ENGL 200
- ENGL 290