First Steps for non-Canadian faculty appointees

First Steps for non-Canadian Faculty Appointees - Work Permit

  • Sign and return your letter of appointment promptly as per directions in the letter.

  • When your signed offer letter is received, Queen's will apply for a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Service Canada/Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC). OR, for LMIA exempt individuals, Queen's will apply for an ID number to be used when applying for the work permit.

  • In cases where an LMIA is required: Once a positive response from Service Canada is received (processing times fluctuate, usually about 6 weeks), Queen's will forward the LMIA documentation to you. The file number on the LMIA is required to apply for a work permit. The LMIA must be used by the expiry date noted on the document. To discuss current timelines of the LMIA process, your are strongly advised to contact the Faculty Recruitment and Support Program as soon as you have signed a letter of offer or earlier, if possible.

  • In cases where an LMIA exemption exists, Queen's will apply for an ID number, which must be used when applying for a work permit. The ID number will be forwarded to you by your department or faculty office.

LMIA Exempt Categories

  • Canada Research Chairs, Canada Excellence Research Chairs and Post-Doctoral Fellows do not require an LMIA. CRC/CERC appointees will receive a "National Letter of Confirmation" in place of the LMIA from the CRC Secretariat.

  • Citizens of the U.S. and Mexico can enter Canada to work under NAFTA regulations on a temporary basis without first obtaining an LMIA, learn more here. A similar trade agreement covering university teachers exist between Canada and Chile.

For LMIA exempt individuals, Queen's will complete, on your behalf, an "Offer of Employment" online and pay a $230 Employer Compliance Fee to Citizenship, Immigration and Refugee Canada. The university will provide you with an ID number generated by this process. You will need this ID number in order to complete a work permit application.  

Important Note on Passport Validity Period

Before you apply for the work permit, ensure your passport is valid for at least three years. Immigration officers will not issue a work permit that expires later than your passport or the end date in your offer letter. Work permits are generally issued for three years, however, it is up to the processing border officer to determine the number of years granted.

Frequently Asked Questions

Questions you may have

Where to find answers

Am I eligible to apply for my work permit at the Canadian Border or do I have to apply at a Canadian Visa Post abroad?

Click and Read: Where to apply for your work permit

Do I need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter Canada?

Check the list of countries whose residents need a TRV to travel to Canada.

Where can I get help in my own language to ensure  my application is complete?

Visa Application Centres accept and forward applications (note: they do NOT provide immigration advice or make decisions on your application)

Do I need a medical before entering Canada?

Click and Read: Medicals for Immigration to Canada

Concern: Minor offences such as driving under the influence, shoplifting, possession of illegal substances, etc can result in refusal at the border.

Click and Read: Persons who are inadmissible to Canada

Where can I find Work Permit Application Forms (Applications Abroad)?

Located on the Citizenship and Immigration web site

How much is the fee for a Work Permit?

Check the fee schedule on the CIC web site

Where can I find information about bringing my family to Canada, including information on how to apply for a work permit for a spouse/partner?

Click and Read: Bringing your family to Canada

Is there a list of documentation to have ready for immigration officials at the border?

Read: Crossing the border

Are there special considerations for foreign-trained physicians?

Read: Special note for non-Canadian, foreign trained physicians