Entering under NAFTA

Entering Canada to work under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and Canada Chile Agreement (CCFTA)

NAFTA allows certain professionals who are U.S. or Mexican citizens to obtain a work permit without first having to obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). University professors, scientists and physicians are generally LMIA exempt under NAFTA, Appendix 1603.D.1. A similar exemption from the LMIA exists for Chilean nationals.

Permanent Residents (Green Card holders) of the U.S. or persons with Permanent Resident status in Mexico are not covered under the NAFTA provisions.

Documentation required at the port of entry is described under "Crossing the Border".

For LMIA exempt individuals, Queen's will complete, on your behalf, an "Offer of Employment" online and pay a $230 Employer Compliance Fee to Citizenship, Immigration and Refugee Canada. The university will provide you with an ID number generated by this process. You will need this ID number in order to complete a work permit application.  

The duration of the work permit issued is at the discretion of the border officer. The NAFTA/CCFTA permit is intended to be temporary, and permit holders are strongly encouraged to make an application for Permanent Residence before the permit expires. 

Entering Canada as a CRC/CERC

CRC/CERC appointees also require the ID number generated by the above process for LMIA exempt individuals. When making the application on behalf of the CRC/CERC the university is exempt from payment of the $230 fee.