Foreign Trained Physicians

Non-Canadian, foreign trained physicians

Non-Canadian physicians who are trained outside of Canada and coming to join Queen's Faculty of Health Sciences must meet certain requirements for licensure in addition to obtaining a work permit. The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care must support the recruitment of such individuals.

They must also be eligible to hold specialty certification from the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada or be eligible for the Royal College examinations in the specialty/sub-specialty concerned.

Physicians must undergo an immigration medical as part of their required immigration process. Medicals can be done "upfront" and the results submitted along with the work permit application. The immigration medical must be done by a "Panel Physician" who is approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.

For further information, contact the Faculty of Health Sciences office.