Social Insurance Number (SIN)

The SIN is a nine digit number that you need to work in Canada. Without it, Queen's cannot pay you. You must have valid immigration status in Canada to apply for a SIN. There is no fee for the SIN.

Application Instructions

  • you do not need to complete a form prior to applying for the SIN, but prior to going to the Service Canada office to apply, read the application information
  • assemble supporting documents for proof of identity
  • apply at the Service Canada Centre, Frontenac Mall, 1300 Bath Road at Centennial Drive, Kingston, Mon-Fri 8:30am to 4pm

If your documentation is in order, you'll get a Social Insurance Number on the spot. You will receive a "Confirmation of SIN" letter to show to your employer. Keep this letter in a safe place.

If your SIN has Expired

If your SIN starts with a 9 it will have an expiry date. Queen's can only pay you if a valid SIN is on file. You must re-apply with a new work permit. There is no cost for a new SIN. Please provide your new work permit and SIN to the Human Resources Department so your pay is not interrupted.