Kingston's child care providers usually operate at full capacity and with waiting lists. Spaces for infants are especially hard to find, consider inspected private home child care providers as an option. Part-time child care is generally easier to find than full-time. If you can be flexible, indicate on your application that you would accept a part-time space. If your child is attending part-time, he/she will have priority when a full-time space becomes available.
As soon as you know that you will be coming to Queen's, contact several child care centres to place your child on the waiting lists. This will give you a better chance of securing a space when you need it. Spaces for infants up to 18 months are the most in demand.
Review the Queen's Child Care Benefit for eligibility and how to apply.
The City of Kingston provides a Centralized Childcare Registry and Information Service. The site offers:
- help to find the different types of child care available in Kingston (day care centre and inspected private home settings, after school care)
- an interactive map - click on locations of child care centres and you will get their contact info, and description
- advice on how to select the type of care that best suits your child
Child care rates in Kingston are approximately:
- $50/day (infants up to 18 months)
- $45/day (toddlers up to 2.5 years)
- $38/day (preschooler)
- $22/day (Before and after school programs)
Charges will vary depending on the child care facility.
French-language child care centres
French language child care centres in Kingston:
Child care as well as support services for children with special needs are available in the Kingston area. For further details please contact the Faculty Recruitment and Support program and we will assist you with your specific questions.
Playgroups and information about children's services and programs
The EarlyOn Program offers workshops for parents, information on playgroups, services, and parenting information.