Faculty Recruitment

Faculty Recruitment and Support Program

Faculty Recruitment and Support Program

site header

Planning Your Move to Kingston

Choosing a mover and claiming your relocation allowance

Please review your letter of offer to see the requirements regarding estimates that you need to obtain for your move (either one or two). The Faculty Recruitment Program can provide you with names of reputable moving companies. The final choice of movers is up to you. Retain the quote(s) and submit with your reimbursement claim.

As a new faculty or staff member you qualify for preferred rates under the CAUBO agreement. Please note that preferred rates do not necessarily equal good service. Compare pricing and assess the customer service record of the moving company carefully when you choose a mover. If you would like further information, please contact the Faculty Recruitment and Support Program.

  • check company references (ask for one from a move that didn't go smoothly)
  • confirm who actually does the move (many companies contract out)
  • industry standard for domestic (including US/Canada) moves is no more than 10% increase from the estimate unless there has been a major change in scope of the move
  • international moves should generally not exceed the quoted amount unless there are additional services provided that were not on the original quote
  • tell the movers as much as possible about the destination address. If your new place is inaccessible to a large moving truck or has winding stairs, this will incur extra costs you want to take into consideration in the estimate
  • a deposit should not exceed 10% of the quote
  • review the insurance coverage with the moving company
  • Ask the movers to specify the CAUBO discount on the estimate and the final invoice to ensure that you get the full benefit.

Your relocation allowance

Your Letter of Appointment indicates the maximum moving allowance you are entitled to. If you are appointed under the Collective Agreement for Faculty, Librarians and Archivists, read Article 27 to learn how you may spend this allowance.

You may be able to receive an advance or have your move billed directly to Queen's - please contact your faculty office or the Faculty Recruitment and Support Program for further information.

A moving expense claim form and a copy of your faculty's moving policy will be enclosed with your appointment letter. If you need a new copy, please click on your faculty below:

If there is no link for your faculty or school, please contact your departmental office or Monica Stewart, Faculty Recruitment and Support Co-ordinator.