Queen's Film and Media

Film and Media Studies
Film and Media Studies

Film and Media logo

Frequently Asked Questions:

What courses are being offered remotely in the winter term?
So far, we've determined that both FILM 110/6.0 and FILM 250/3.0 (fall/winter courses) will be offered entirely remotely, including in the winter term. If any other winter term courses will be changed to remote instruction, we will inform you (the students) as soon as possible.
What courses are being offered this year for FILM, COFI, and MAPP students?
Course descriptions are provided on our website here. Note that they are separated by level (100, 200, etc.) and that MAPP courses and traditionally offered online courses are listed separately.
Why are only some fall courses listed as 'online' courses in SOLUS?
Courses that appear as "online" courses in SOLUS are those that were always intended to be offered online. The other fall term courses are now being offered remotely (online), but they were not initially intended to be offered in an online format and so they are not labelled as 'online' courses in SOLUS. 
How do I know what courses I should take this year to satisfy my degree plan requirements?
Please refer to our FILM & MEDIA Program Overview page and click on the appropriate degree plan or special concentration for plan requirements. If you notice a discrepancy between the plan we have posted and the plan you see when you login to your SOLUS account, please contact Stephanie Wilson for help in determining your requirements.
How and when can I request to switch into a FILM & MEDIA plan?
If you are an upper-year student looking to switch into a FILM & MEDIA plan, you will have to wait until May 2021 to officially request to switch into a FILM & MEDIA degree plan. We are no longer accepting change of plan requests for the 2020-21 academic year. IMPORTANT: Contact Stephanie Wilson for help enrolling in FILM courses. Any FILM courses taken prior to getting into a FILM plan will count towards your degree requirements once you're accepted to a FILM plan.
When will the Spring 2021 term take place?
The new Spring 2021 term is scheduled to take place from May 10, 2021 to June 21, 2020. It is tentatively planned to be an in-person term. However, developments in COVID-19 may lead to changes to these dates or to whether or not we can offer the courses in-person.
Who do I contact for technical support and for equipment rentals?
For help related to computer or other equipment provided by FILM & MEDIA, please contact filmtech@queensu.ca or filmgear@queensu.ca. One of our technicians will respond ASAP.
Why are there two versions of FILM 250 (one worth 3 units and one worth 6 units) and which one do I need to take for my plan requirements?
We no longer offer the 6.0 units version of FILM 250. From May 2020 going forward, students will take the 3 units version of the course and the department recommends they also take FILM 257: Concept Development (which is a prerequisite for FILM 312: Screenwriting).
Why is FILM 460 restricted to FILM & MEDIA Majors?
The cohort of FILM & MEDIA Majors is so large that we must restrict other students from enrolling in this course in order to ensure enough resources are available for production projects.
What is the difference between the FILM & MEDIA Major plan and the MAPP Specialization?
Please see our new MAPP info page for details about the Specialization. The FILM & MEDIA Major plan curriculum focuses primarily on film, television, and other media in studies and production courses. Major production courses in this plan include Video/Advanced Video Production, Open/Advanced Open Media, and Animation/Advanced Animation. 
Is it worthwhile to add the Media Studies Certificate to my FILM & MEDIA degree?
No, we don't recommend the MDIA certificate for students already pursuing a degree in FILM & MEDIA. However, since FILM & MEDIA students take many or all of the courses that make up the certificate, some may choose to add the certificate as an extra accreditation. 
Can I request permission to take a MAPP course if I'm actually in a FILM, DRAM, or MUSC/MUTH plan?
Yes, you can contact Stephanie.Wilson@queensu.ca to request enrollment in a MAPP course. If you meet certain prerequisites and there is space left in the course, you may be enrolled.
Which FILM & MEDIA plan or specialization am I enrolled in? There are several different versions of the same plans listed.
You should be able to find your plan requirements on SOLUS. However, you may have the option to switch from the plan of study assigned (based on the date you entered Queen's) to a later plan. We have recently updated our plans due to changes in curriculum being offered and so it might benefit students to switch to the newer version of a plan. For advice on whether or not you should switch you plan, contact Stephanie.Wilson@queensu.ca.
How many production courses can I take each year?
Students in FILM & MEDIA are discouraged from taking more than one production course per term. In second-year, students are allowed only to take FILM 250/3.0. They must wait until third year to undertake the upper-year production courses. However, there are exceptions to this rule for students who switch into a FILM plan late in their undergraduate career or for those that must accelerate their studies for some other approved reason.
What is a "FILM-Centric" course?
FILM-Centric courses are courses offered by other departments but which deal with subject matter related to FILM & MEDIA. A list of pre-approved FILM-Centric courses appears at the top of our undergraduate courses page. Some FILM-Centric courses may not automatically count towards your plan requirements in the SOLUS system. For help to ensure the course is counted towards your FILM plan requirements, please contact Stephanie.Wilson@queensu.ca.
Are there ‘lab’ fees in FILM & MEDIA?
Yes. There is a one-time lump sum fee due at the beginning of 2nd-year for students admitted to a FILM & MEDIA plan that includes production courses (FILM Major and Medial, MAPP, COCA). The fee covers the cost of production equipment and software available to production students in the department as well as a personal harddrive for students to use to save their video projects.