Financial Services

Financial Services

site header


Construction, Renovation and Lab Rental Expenses

In most instances the costs of construction, renovations and expenses for lab rentals or supporting facilities are not eligible expenses on a Tri-Council grant (NSERC, SSHRC or CIHR). These details are available in the Tri-Agency Financial Administration Guide.

These types of expenses may be allowable on a Tri-Council grant in rare circumstances and would require written pre-approval by the research funding agency.

It is important to be aware of this eligibility rule before incurring these types of expenses with external vendors. In addition, when asked by Physical Plant Services to provide a research project for construction or renovation costs, please ensure a Tri-Council project is not used for this purpose. Construction and renovation charges administered by Physical Plant Services do not flow through Financial Services, therefore it is the Principal Investigator’s responsibility to ensure an appropriate research project is used for this type of expense.

If a Tri-Agency project is charged for construction or renovation expenses and has not been pre-approved by the agency, it may be disallowed in a future monitoring visit or audit. For questions regarding appropriate research projects for these types of expenses, please contact Research Accounting at