French Studies

Department of French Studies
Department of French Studies

Explore Program / LOP


I would like to do the Explore program. What do I do before going? What transfer credit will I get?

Once you arrive at your chosen destination, they will assess you by doing a placement test, and determine which course you will take there. French Studies strongly recommends going to Trois-Pistoles for your exchange because their courses are the closest to the French Department’s courses level.

Once you have been placed in a course, go to the Arts and Science Letter of Permissions page, fill out the Letter of Permission and return the form as indicated in the instructions on the form to Karen McBride at the Faculty of Arts & Science at fax number: (613) 533-2467 or

How long do I have to wait to see it posted on my transcript?
Arts & Science will forward the Letter of Permission and any relevant paperwork to the Undergraduate Chair in French Studies for approval, and the process from there should be quick. It takes approximately 2-3 weeks to process.
Do any courses taken elsewhere count towards a French Plan?
Yes, however core courses other than FREN320 of a French Plan must be taken at Queen's.
How do I know what a course taken elsewhere is equivalent to at Queen’s?
There is a binder at the Faculty of Arts & Science office in Dunning Hall that you can consult to give you the approximate equivalency of Queen’s for a transfer credit. You can proceed with your Letter of Permission from there.