French Studies

Department of French Studies
Department of French Studies

Taking Courses at Another University/LOP


Are you an Arts and Science student thinking about taking courses at another university to fulfill your Queen's degree requirements? If you are, then you must apply for a letter of permission from the Faculty of Arts & Science Office prior to registering with the other university.

You should note that it is your responsibility to apply for admission to the host university and to confirm their application deadlines.

Please note that the Faculty of Arts and Science will NOT approve Letters of Permission retroactively.

Who Can Apply?

Any Arts & Science student on a degree program, in good academic standing with an overall grade point average of 1.60 or better. If you wish to take your 3rd or 4th year of an Honours plan away on a Letter of Permission, you must appeal in writing to the Associate Deans (Studies) and the Undergraduate Chair in your department(s) and have a grade point average of 1.90 or better. You will need to explain in your letter the reasons why you cannot attend Queen's for your 3rd or 4th year. For more information, please refer to Academic Regulation 14 and Academic Regulation 16 or drop by the Arts & Science Office, Dunning Hall - Main Floor.

How many courses can I take at another university?

There is a limit to the number of courses from the other university that you can count toward your Queen's degree. The majority of your core and elective courses must be completed at Queen's.

How do I apply?

Apply early, as it could take two to three weeks to process a letter of permission. For more details on LOP, see Letter of Permission on the Faculty of Arts & Science Web Page.

Does It Cost for a Letter of Permission?

Yes, a non-refundable administrative fee of $60 must be submitted for each Letter of Permission, per session, per university. The fee must accompany the LOP application. (see instructions on the LOP form)

How are credits transferred to my Queen's record?

After you have successfully completed course(s) at the host university and received a mark of C in each course (unless otherwise stated on your Letter of Permission), you must arrange for an official transcript of marks to be forwarded directly from the other institution to the Letters of Permission Office, Faculty of Arts and Science. Some universities do not send out transcripts automatically; they must be requested by you. Once the official transcript is received, and provided you have achieved a mark of at least C- (this mark may vary depending on what the undergraduate chair stated on your Letter of Permission), the credit(s) will be entered on your Queen's transcript. When you request a Letter of Permission to study at another University and you complete two half credits at the host University, you must achieve at least C or better in each 3 unit course in order to receive the transfer credit toward your Queen's degree (unless otherwise stated on your letter of permission by the undergraduate chair).

Please note: numerical mark(s) will NOT be transferred to your transcript. The course will appear on your transcript with a grade of TR. TR notations have no weight on your GPA.

Last course for your degree? You must access SOLUS in order to apply to graduate. Further information available on the Registrar's web site.

You can print out an Application Form [PDF] and Payment Form then mail it to the Arts and Science Office, Dunning Hall - Main Floor, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, K7L 3N6. Include detailed course description(s) and the non-refundable fee, per application, per university, per session.