Queen's Gazette | Queen's University

Search form

University resources available related to earthquake in Mexico

Queen’s University is saddened by the devastation in Mexico resulting from the major earthquake that occurred on Tuesday, Sept. 19.

The university has reached out to students currently in Mexico who are registered with the Queen’s University International Centre. Queen’s University would also like to remind community members about the emergency support services available to them when these events occur. 

For students on campus

If you or your family and friends have been affected by these events, and you need some support please do not hesitate to contact the Queen’s University International Centre via email at kotechaj@queensu.ca. Support for students is also available through Student Wellness Services. To make an appointment, please call 613-533-2506 or come to the LaSalle building (146 Stuart St.). If you are in a crisis, please let the receptionist know when you call or stop in.

Faculty and Staff

When an emergency event occurs the university asks any faculty or staff in the affected areas to contact their department heads or the Queen’s University International Centre to inform them of their status.

Support for faculty and staff is available through the Employee and Family Assistance Program at 1-800-663-1142 or 1-866-398-9505.

Students Abroad

  • As a student, if you have any questions or concerns, do not hesitate to contact the Queen’s University International Centre via email at kotechaj@queensu.ca.
    You are also encouraged to contact the nearest Canadian Embassy or email sos@international.gc.ca. Please also contact your family and friends to let them know if you are safe.
  • Be mindful of your surroundings, carry your Queen’s emergency card, and monitor the Travel Advice and Advisories page of the Government of Canada website.
  • Students who are citizens of countries other than Canada should contact their appropriate government representatives.
  • Support for students at Queen’s is available through Student Wellness Services at 613-533-2506 or by dropping in at 146 Stuart St.

Parents and family members

  • If you are a parent or family member with a student abroad on a university program please do not hesitate to call the Queen’s University International Centre at 613-539-7220 or email kotechaj@queensu.ca and we will provide you with updated information as it is available and refer you to the appropriate office on campus, as needed.
  • Family members can contact the Global Affairs Canada Emergency Watch Centre in Ottawa for further information or assistance. Emergency Watch and Response Centre (international toll free number) 00-800-2326-6831 or call collect – 001-613-996-8885 or email sos@international.gc.ca.