Academics Not Requiring Work Permits


Citizens of certain countries require a visa and biometrics to enter Canada.
Others require an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA).

Role/Category Documentation required upon entry to Canada

1) Academic Consultants

Appraise or evaluate academic programs including videos, provide consultation strictly on academic matters, advise on the appropriateness of hiring a Dean for a faculty with an existing vacancy



In addition to the above:

  • Evidence of financial support for the length of stay
  • Proof of work in a field related to the invitation
  • Proof of high skill level or research work for Global Talent Stream exemption

2) Academic Examiners

Eminent individuals who direct the studies and review the work done by scholars under their tutelage, review the thesis and papers prepared by those scholars

3) Public Speakers

Address a particular convention, graduation, dinner or similar function; seminar leaders who deliver a paper or information during a seminar, workshop or other related teaching or research activity; commercial speakers who sell tickets. The event must be public and open to a wider audience.

Limited entry for no longer than 5 days.

4) Self Funded Researcher

Will be conducting research activities in their field of study, has autonomous funding other than a research award, no displacement of Canadian or Permanent Resident workers, no employer-employee relationship with the university, no remuneration to either the researcher or the university for the research, generally staying no longer than 6 months.

5) Global Talent Stream - Short Term Visits by Skilled Workers/Researchers

Highly-skilled workers in skill type 0 or skill level A occupations of the NOC may enter Canada to work for 15 days in a six-month period, or for 30 days in a 12-month period, without obtaining a work permit. University Professors are a Skill Level A occupation.

Researchers working on research projects with Queen's may come to Canada for 120 days in a 12-month period, without requiring a work permit. Renewals or consecutive uses within the 12-month period are not allowed. If they are to be paid, they must request a Visitor Record from the airport/land border immigration office when entering Canada. This will allow them to apply for a Social Insurance Number.