site header

Queen’s University Staff and Faculty Use of Rented Vehicles on University-Sanctioned Business

All drivers must be at least 21 years of age and carry a valid Ontario Class G driver’s licence or equivalent from another jurisdiction; only drivers with the appropriate licence are permitted to drive vehicles for Queen’s University-sanctioned business. Rental agencies may require drivers to be no less than 25 or a “Young Driver” fee may apply.

The rental agreement must be in the name of ‘Queen’s University’ to avoid being personally liable. 

  • i.e. “Joe Smith for Queen’s University”

All designated drivers must be named on the agreement and drivers’ licences must be presented to rental agency at time of rental. The Primary Driver is required to drive for the majority of the time.

Queen’s Non-Owned Automobile policy does not provide auto liability coverage to rental vehicles in Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Burkina Faso, Central African Republic, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Guam, Haiti, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Ivory Coast, Libya, Macedonia, Myanmar (Burma), Nigeria, Pakistan, Saipan, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. Please contact Bryan McGann, Manager, Insurance and Risk ( or 613.533.6000 ext. 74322) if you are planning to rent a vehicle in these regions. In all other countries, the university provides the required liability coverage for sanctioned vehicle rentals.

Collision/Loss Damage Waiver Procedures

In adherence the Queen’s University Travel Policy and Expense Reimbursement Policy, all staff, faculty and students renting vehicles on university-sanctioned business must follow the Collision/Loss Damage Waiver Procedures as set out below based on payment method.

Payment Option Collision Damage Waiver Procedures

Queen’s Travel Credit Card/Departmental Billing Linked to TCard

(provided to university faculty and staff as well as to departments who may use for payment of rental vehicles with pre-approved student drivers on approved university business)

The Queen’s Travel Credit Card includes insurance coverage for physical damages to rental vehicles on university-sanctioned business. There is $0 deductible applied for each incident which must be reported to Travel Card within 48 hours.

Renter MUST Decline the Collision/Loss Damage Waiver (CDW/LDW) from rental agency

NOTE: To avoid being held personally liable, Queen’s University MUST be named on rental agreement.

Local Enterprise Rental Agency for Departmental Direct Billing (non-TCard)

Renter MUST Accept the Collision/Loss Damage Waiver (CDW/LDW) from rental agency for insurance coverage for all damages.

NOTE: To avoid being held personally liable, Queen’s University MUST be named on rental agreement.

All other payment options not included above and that are in exemption to the Queen’s University Travel Policy

Renter MUST Accept the Collision/Loss Damage Waiver (CDW/LDW) from rental agency for insurance coverage for all damages to vehicle.

NOTE: To avoid being held personally liable, Queen’s University MUST be named on rental agreement.


A copy of the Certificate of Insurance for the Scotiabank Travel Card can be found here. It is recommended that you keep a copy with you when renting a vehicle that is subject to the CDW/LDW.

Types of vehicles covered under Queen’s Travel Credit Card and university’s insurance coverage include:

  • all cars;
  • sport utility vehicles; and
  • mini-vans (defined as vans made by an automobile manufacturer and classified by the manufacturer or a government authority as mini-vans made to transport a maximum of eight (8) people including the driver and which are used exclusively for the transportation of passengers and their luggage).

The following vehicles are NOT covered:

  • vans, cargo vans or mini cargo vans (other than mini vans as described above);
  • trucks, pick-up trucks or any vehicle that can be spontaneously reconfigured into a pick-up truck;
  • limousines;
  • off-road vehicles – meaning any vehicle used on roads that are not publicly maintained roads unless used to ingress and egress private property;
  • motorcycles, mopeds or motor bikes;
  • trailers, campers, recreational vehicles or vehicles not licensed for road use;
  • vehicles towing or propelling trailers or any other object
  • mini-buses or buses;
  • any vehicle with a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) excluding all taxes over fifty thousand dollars ($50,000);
  • exotic vehicles, meaning vehicles such as Aston Martin, Bentley, Bricklin, Dailmer, DeLorean, Excalibur, Ferrari, Jensen, Lamborghini, Lotus, Maserati, Porsche, Rolls Royce, Tesla;
  • Any vehicle which is either wholly or in part handmade, hand finished or has a limited production of under 2,500 vehicles per year;
  • Antique vehicles, meaning a vehicle over twenty (20) years old which has not been manufactured for ten (10) years or more;

** If you intend to rent a vehicle not included in the coverage provided by this credit card, you MUST purchase the Collision/Loss Damage Waiver (CDW/LDW) from the rental agency.

In the Event of an Accident/Theft

Within 48 hours, please call the administrator at:

  • 1-833-389-1090 (toll free) in Canada and the Continental USA
  • (519) 945-1813 outside Canada and the Continental USA (call collect)